Hold Up!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'll put up one more of our "atypical" gun disarms to show how a "held at gunpoint" situation can be dissected, the goal being to form a plan that follows the THREE RULES of gun disarms:

1. Get off the muzzle line.

2. Gain control of the weapon or the weapon-bearing limb.

3. Begin the beatdown.

In this scenario, we have a smarter criminal who may have actually had a bit of training! He holds me away from him (and the gun) by grasping my shirt and keeps the firearm in the "retention" position. The retention position was developed as a means of close-quarter use of the gun without exposing it to be grabbed by the opponent. Note how I am unable to reach the gun from my position, and he is able to control me if I attempt to reach across to grab the gun:

IMG_0931.jpg

Since I cannot reach toward the gun (I will certainly be shot, we've tried thousands of times), I'll have to adopt a different strategy. One of the classic methods of achieving positional dominance is to "take the back' of the opponent. Almost all of an opponent's possible offense can only be directed into his forward hemisphere, with his flanks and back relatively undefended. Here, I'll smack his arm at the elbow joint (like spanking him sharply), so that the stinging impulse allows me to get off the muzzle line and begin to move BEHIND him. The side view shows that the muzzle is no longer on me.

IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0934.jpg

Of course, since I don't yet have much control over him, I need to get going and get a hold of him in such a manner that he can't simply turn and point the gun at me again. I'll continue to "slide" along his back, assisted by pulling his non-gun arm across my chest. Note how his hand grabbing my shirt cannot stop me from rotating around his grip and continuing my movement across his back. If he tries to maintain his grip, it will actually force his arm to contort and assist my motion.

IMG_0936.jpg

continued

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Now that I'm beginning to get my grip on him, I'll continue to move behind him. A HUGE concern is that he will try to reach around with his gun hand and simply point the gun at me, since I don't yet have any control over that arm. As I slide along his back, I'll reach to grasp his gun arm just above the elbow and pin his gun arm against his side. Now, he will be unable to reach around his front side and point the gun at me again. Here's a couple views:

IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0938.jpg

Once I have his gun arm pinned against his side, I continue to tighten the whole position and begin to slide my left arm across the front of his body. I want to grasp the muzzle of the weapon (although NOT absolutely necessary to complete this disarm) to obtain even greater control of him.

IMG_0939.jpg

Since I've been able to grasp the firearm, I now pull with both my hands, so that his arm is tightly pinned against his side and his forearm is crushing into his ribs. This provides me the position I need to initiate the takedown. I use a knee strike into the back of his leg and begin rotating him by pulling him backward (this is classic judo).

IMG_0940.jpg

You can see how the takedown is commencing, and I still have a firm hold on the firearm.

IMG_0941.jpg

continued

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's another view of the takedown in progress:

IMG_0944.jpg

Since we're going to land on the ground soon, I need to make sure that I land on top!

IMG_0942.jpg

I take advantage of the rotation as we fall (notice that I still have a grasp on his gun) and improve my position by freeing up my other hand. I'm in position to strike him and end the confrontation.

IMG_0943.jpg

It sure takes a lot longer to explain what's going on than it does to just do this. This whole sequence takes about 2-3 seconds to complete in real time. The pull&twist takedown is very powerful as I drop my weight... he's simply unable to remain standing. Notice that this takedown does not require that I lift him, so you may take down a much larger opponent with the advantageous leverage provided. Of course, the takedowns provide arrest/control options

I sincerely hope that these series of techniques have inspired our members to investigate training in personal protection. While I've demonstrated some rather extreme situations, I want to show that safety is NOT beyond the reach of the average individual. From viewing these "hopeless" situations and the straightforward means of dealing with them, it may be seen that answers to many threatening situations are available.

Regards,

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing