Koetsu Stone Bodied Cartridges anyone heard the differences?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis, I hope you are reading this and can offer me some advice on a Koetsu purchase (since you are a great authority on Koetsus according to Jack). Between the Coralstone and the jade which will you choose, taking value into consideration? On an overall scale of 10 and if the Coralstone were 10, what would the Jade be?

Hi Thf99,

Well, I'm not really a 'great authority' on Koetsu carts (thanks Jack) :) though I love its sound enough to distribute it in our country for a few years. And that's a tough question but I'll try to answer it based on my experience.

I recall, as I was doing product tests for all the Koetsu models that I ordered, I was able to flip them in and out quickly to my ET2 arm and I did hear briefly both the Jade and the Coralstone in my system. The Jade impressed upon my memory to be lusher and easily forget about analyzing anything but to just listen to whatever I was playing. On female vocals, I would say it's the most tantalizing sound I've ever heard. Simply a pleasure to listen to. The Coralstone, while still maintaining the Koetsu lushness, will give a better definition of the sound stage, micro detailing, and extensions. Taking price into consideration, with the Jade about half the price of the Coralstone, I would have to say the Jade has better value, and with value a consideration, I would take the Jade myself. Even now, I still have the Jade on my wishlist/cart, only the credit card is not ready. LOL It's hard for me to do a scale comparison because just when I thought the Jade would lack extension in my system, it was very well extended and fast in Jack's system. And I would say the Coral sounded 'faster' in my system than the Jade. What I can say though is that you can't go wrong with both models. If I had no budgetary constrains I'd take the Coral, but otherwise, the Jade will satisfy me a lot, I know.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi Thf99,

Well, I'm not really a 'great authority' on Koetsu carts (thanks Jack) :) though I love its sound enough to distribute it in our country for a few years. And that's a tough question but I'll try to answer it based on my experience.

I recall, as I was doing product tests for all the Koetsu models that I ordered, I was able to flip them in and out quickly to my ET2 arm and I did hear briefly both the Jade and the Coralstone in my system. The Jade impressed upon my memory to be lusher and easily forget about analyzing anything but to just listen to whatever I was playing. On female vocals, I would say it's the most tantalizing sound I've ever heard. Simply a pleasure to listen to. The Coralstone, while still maintaining the Koetsu lushness, will give a better definition of the sound stage, micro detailing, and extensions. Taking price into consideration, with the Jade about half the price of the Coralstone, I would have to say the Jade has better value, and with value a consideration, I would take the Jade myself. Even now, I still have the Jade on my wishlist/cart, only the credit card is not ready. LOL It's hard for me to do a scale comparison because just when I thought the Jade would lack extension in my system, it was very well extended and fast in Jack's system. And I would say the Coral sounded 'faster' in my system than the Jade. What I can say though is that you can't go wrong with both models. If I had no budgetary constrains I'd take the Coral, but otherwise, the Jade will satisfy me a lot, I know.

Many thanks, Jadis, for your very prompt reply. I am very new to analog (in fact, just 2 weeks old!). I just acquired a mint SME30/2 tt with the SME V arm. At the moment, I am using the Kiseki Blue NS cartridge. Other than the Koetsu, what else do you think will be synergistic with the SME V arm?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Many thanks, Jadis, for your very prompt reply. I am very new to analog (in fact, just 2 weeks old!). I just acquired a mint SME30/2 tt with the SME V arm. At the moment, I am using the Kiseki Blue NS cartridge. Other than the Koetsu, what else do you think will be synergistic with the SME V arm?

My pleasure, Thf99.

My friend has a SME20/2 and SME V arm, he has a Urushi Wajima mounted, and a Blue Lace Diamond still new in the box that has not been used. I'm afraid I cannot make any suggestion on other cartridges as I am not familiar with them, but I heard from other people too that SME arms go well with Koetsus. One of the toughest questions to answer has been, 'what sounds like a Koetsu but is not a Koetsu?' So far I have not gotten an answer. And I had asked that to an audio dealer who loves old Koetsu cartridges.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thf99, Congratulations on your new SME 30/2. I used to have an SME V on the Model 10 and now have an SME V-12 on my 30/12. On both arms I have enjoyed AirTight cartridges. First the PC-1 and now the PC-1 Supreme. Both cartridges were developed in part on the SME V arm according to one review I read. The sound is high resolution, lots of detail, great dynamics with natural weight and body. The Supreme has a slightly more neutral tonal balance. The PC-1 has a tiny emphasis on the upper bass/lower midrange. I have not heard the new PC-1s which is supposed to correct this. I would certainly add AirTight to your list of cartridges to consider. Two lower cost alternatives are the Sumiko Pearwood which I owned and also the Palo Santos which is the top of the line Sumiko cartridge.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thf99, Congratulations on your new SME 30/2. I used to have an SME V on the Model 10 and now have an SME V-12 on my 30/12. On both arms I have enjoyed AirTight cartridges. First the PC-1 and now the PC-1 Supreme. Both cartridges were developed in part on the SME V arm according to one review I read. The sound is high resolution, lots of detail, great dynamics with natural weight and body. The Supreme has a slightly more neutral tonal balance. The PC-1 has a tiny emphasis on the upper bass/lower midrange. I have not heard the new PC-1s which is supposed to correct this. I would certainly add AirTight to your list of cartridges to consider. Two lower cost alternatives are the Sumiko Pearwood which I owned and also the Palo Santos which is the top of the line Sumiko cartridge.

Thanks, PeterA, for your suggestions. I will certainly consider the airtight cartridges. I trust that your SME30/12 together with the airtight carts will bring you years of musical bliss.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
PeterA, I've finally decided to put money on the Koetsu Coralstone. It should arrive in early Jan next year.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Congratulations. Though I have never heard one, it is highly regarded. What a great way to welcome in the new year.

Peter, do you know the compliance value of the Airtight PC1 supreme. I'd read somewhere that mentioned the value was 10 but am not sure whether it was measured at 10Hz or 100Hz. As I understand it, most or all the Japanese carts are measured at 100Hz.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, do you know the compliance value of the Airtight PC1 supreme. I'd read somewhere that mentioned the value was 10 but am not sure whether it was measured at 10Hz or 100Hz. As I understand it, most or all the Japanese carts are measured at 100Hz.

Yes, I think it is 10 also, but I can't verify how it was measured. I was not aware that there are different measuring values. Sorry.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Yes, I think it is 10 also, but I can't verify how it was measured. I was not aware that there are different measuring values. Sorry.

Generally, Japanese carts' compliance values are measured at 100 Hz, EU ones at 10Hz and American ones static. The resonance calculator that I use to check cart/arm compatibility is based on 10Hz. Hence, you have to adjust the compliance values accordingly.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
I have been listening to the Coralstone for 2 years now. It's amazing.

I've been following your views as well as Albert Porter's on the Coralstone for a while. You two were part of the reasons why I together with 3 of my friends bought the Coralstone (at the same time).

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thf99,

Here's a picture of a Coralstone Diamond cantilever I brought in the country a few years ago for a good friend.

1.1.jpg

I believe you will enjoy yours a lot when it arrives. :)

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thf99,

Here's a picture of a Coralstone Diamond cantilever I brought in the country a few years ago for a good friend.

View attachment 12955

I believe you will enjoy yours a lot when it arrives. :)

Many thanks for your earlier advice regarding the KCP. Really looking forward to hearing it in our systems. One of us owns both the Clearaudio Statement and the AF1 and we should be able to hear the full potential of this great cart.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Many thanks for your earlier advice regarding the KCP. Really looking forward to hearing it in our systems. One of us owns both the Clearaudio Statement and the AF1 and we should be able to hear the full potential of this great cart.

My pleasure, Tan. That will be great. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing