Mac Mini or Book + Berkeley USB-to-AES/EBU converter - best PC-based music server?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
but it's a good idea to check from time to time regarding bit-perfect. Sometimes software updates, etc., "helpfully" reset parameters to default positions. Just reporting on various "war stories" on other forums.

@pp you've got it. Why spent $1000 on amarra when humble jrmc does the same job, and a lot more, for, ahem, $49? Windows doesn't have bit-perfect outupt from wmp, probably because of the home-theater targeting of the player. And wasapi for developers seems to work quite well.

jrmc?

P

fjmcsu

VIP/Donor
Jan 10, 2011
I just ordered an alpha and received a nice email from M Ritter at BA( I had inquired about a new alpha model) who stated the converter will be available in February with preliminary release in January.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My guess is they are waiting for the native hi-rez support in iTunes 11 before they release...

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Power supply noise from computers is a huge problem for reference-grade playback. It's one of the main reasons cited by some DAC vendors as to why they keep the computer interface out of the box. When doing critical listening, the computer is running off its battery, which solves part of the problem, but even so, these devices are bad news in the listening room.

JRMC now has an additional WASAPI Event Style mode which the developer believes will make for even more reliable playback under Windows. My experience so far is that JRMC on Vista and Windows 7 is a good solution.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Power supply noise from computers is a huge problem for reference-grade playback.

There is a guy/thread on a'gon about replacing the Mac Mini switching power supply with an analog one to alleged extremely positive results. I am having second thoughts about the Mini myself w/o an analog supply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing