The Use Of Non Lethal Defense Devices

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry, I skipped right to the end being a sort of liberal gun owner...The law as I understand it is a criminal can break into my home and if in the process of defending myself I injure them I can be liable for their health. Until that law is amended i'll have my gun loaded with hornady critical mass hollow points. It isn't like I know what a criminals intent is so I would rather not be a victim.

Reactions: ddk

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think most law enforcement personnel will agree. The defense is your brain and s telephone to dial 911.
Remember most criminals have already planned thier crime. You of course will have to adlib and have no idea how you will respond under fire.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I bought a Bear Spray when last in Canada as we were hiking through some pretty lonely (hopefully) forest to get to the best fishing spots. I nearly crapped myself just reading the instructions.....if the bear charges, wait until its within XXfeet before using the spray....well sh1t, what if the fri99ing wind is in the wrong direction? Then I’d be blind and dead :eek:

Reactions: steve59 and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I bought a Bear Spray when last in Canada as we were hiking through some pretty lonely (hopefully) forest to get to the best fishing spots. I nearly crapped myself just reading the instructions.....if the bear charges, wait until its within XXfeet before using the spray....well sh1t, what if the fri99ing wind is in the wrong direction? Then I’d be blind and dead :eek:

Sidestep so its momentum carries it past you and it turns around to face the wind. Then follow directions

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Sidestep so it crosses you and turns around to face the wind. Then follow directions
while simultaneously going #1 & 2 in your pants.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

There's another complication. Once you spray a bear you have to immediately leave the wildness because if it's a vengeful bear, and which you may have just made it into one, it'll be able to track you because of the spray you used. So if you're a days hike in and you spray at like say 10pm, you pretty much need to hike all night to get out. That creates it's own complications...

But if you bring lethal defense you have to firstly be competent to use it, and you have to have a competent firearm. This means a large enough caliber and a type of bullet that can actually penetrate the skull - most cannot do this... Those reasons are why it's recommended to use bear spray usually because it's hard to screw up.

HOWEVER HOWEVER... In Yellow Stone National Park this has occured... A large family lined up in a row, and dear old dad sprayed them with the bear spray because he thought it worked like bug spray as a repellent. One can imagine the hell that ensued.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I think most law enforcement personnel will agree. The defense is your brain and s telephone to dial 911.
Remember most criminals have already planned thier crime. You of course will have to adlib and have no idea how you will respond under fire.
Interesting, and 911 can probably arrive within 5-10 minutes. I watched a flic with Ben foster and Chris Pine playing brother bank robbers that were on a pretty successful run until they walked into a bank in texas where all the customers were packing heat, lol

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
There's another complication. Once you spray a bear you have to immediately leave the wildness because if it's a vengeful bear, and which you may have just made it into one, it'll be able to track you because of the spray you used. So if you're a days hike in and you spray at like say 10pm, you pretty much need to hike all night to get out. That creates it's own complications...

But if you bring lethal defense you have to firstly be competent to use it, and you have to have a competent firearm. This means a large enough caliber and a type of bullet that can actually penetrate the skull - most cannot do this... Those reasons are why it's recommended to use bear spray usually because it's hard to screw up.

HOWEVER HOWEVER... In Yellow Stone National Park this has occured... A large family lined up in a row, and dear old dad sprayed them with the bear spray because he thought it worked like bug spray as a repellent. One can imagine the hell that ensued.
Holy Smoke that’s far worse than I thought. It wouldn’t only be the pepper spray smell he’d be able to track.... I can assure you of that.

That story from Yellowstone.....terrible....I wonder if the can was labelled ‘Bear Repellent’?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It may have been. I'm sure a bear wouldn't fully eat you if you were covered in it...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
How do you tell a Brown bear from a Grizzly?

Climb a tree. If the bear follows you up and eats you, it's a Brown bear. If it knocks the tree over and eats you, it's a Grizzly.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Interesting, and 911 can probably arrive within 5-10 minutes. I watched a flic with Ben foster and Chris Pine playing brother bank robbers that were on a pretty successful run until they walked into a bank in texas where all the customers were packing heat, lol
Response time varies on nature of crime,locality and availability
Most bank robbers have two .minutes before the police arrive.That was before 911 when I worked as a bank teller. The problem with arming everyone is how do the police tell who the bad guy is. Moreover if shooting breaks out how do you prevent innocent people from getting shot. If I am in the bank how does an armed customer make that decision for me. As a teller J was taught to just give them the money.
The police are notorious for shooting at the wrong person or missing altogether. Some freeze up. Have you ever been shot at ? Would be cool? These are questions to be answered before you face live fire

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Is there a device that can immobilize a "nasty bug" by emitting a sound pitch so strident that without protective hearings you are totally frozen in the moment and the only antidote is jail?

* Bears can be nasty buggers, in particular grizzly bears.
Keep your kitchen clean, don't throw the garbage outside your backdoor, build a secured compound for it, or in the garage with perfume odors. :)

In walking into a forest and encountering a nasty bear; get out of the way, slowly first walking backward, then turning around and running as fast as you can towards a safer zone.
If you can read this that means you made it. :)

** I too never owned a gun and never will; I live in Canada on the west coast.
The only things to steal here are the ocean's horizon, couple killer whales, the splendid views and the forests. The richest of the richest people that's all they have worth stealing. :)

Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
The police are notorious for shooting at the wrong person or missing altogether. Some freeze up. Have you ever been shot at ? Would be cool? These are questions to be answered before you face live fire

Never been shot at, but as a teen driving off after stealing a few dollars worth of gasoline i was pulled over and the trigger happy officer pulled his weapon and cocked it, and I can say in that quiet dark evening hearing that hammer click in place got my full cooperation.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Never been shot at, but as a teen driving off after stealing a few dollars worth of gasoline i was pulled over and the trigger happy officer pulled his weapon and cocked it, and I can say in that quiet dark evening hearing that hammer click in place got my full cooperation.
That qualifies as a life lesson that hopefully stuck with you and possibly changed your course.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
yea, as in yes sir.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Don't get me wrong. I believe every living thing has a right to defend itself .

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was searching for a loud device to scare off any robber, any attacker, any bear species, any killer with tanks, knives, rocket launchers, etc., and I stumbled on various YouTube videos with this little gadget.

I tell you what; this mickey mouse gadget wouldn't even scare my grandma.
In all the videos similar to the one above, the guy is pulling the pin of that Robocop grenade and even standing few inches from it doesn't even flinch!

I wouldn't trust this Froot Loops thing to protect me against a hungry grizzly bear in Alaska or angry attacker after my diamond ring and Rolex watch on the streets of Bogota.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
About something like a marine air horn ...
It's pretty big for the pocket or purse though.

Would a hammer be better? It's not easy to stop a nasty hungry grizzly bear when walking on his trail and tail. I would rather carry the air horn over a hammer.

For an attacker who wants to rob your wallet, credit cards, cash, jewelry, car, etc.,
I have no clue, because he's not telling you that he won't kill you after he robs all your goods.
The stats might say that he won't if you don't resist, some people don't take any chance; a quality Swiss army knife could be handy for someone who knows how to use it efficiently, no muss no fuss. But against a gun? No way, not fair. ...So, do what you have to do with the circumstances when they come, only you knows best...and nobody else because it's your money and your life.

* Non lethal devices against superior fire power. Bulletproof vest? ...Bulletproof helmet?
Can a black belt judo karate master stop bullets?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Animals faced with fight or flight usually chose flight.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing