Artisan Fidelity "Achates Idler Drive" Turntable

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
These drives are often mistaken for one another due to their obvious similarities, as they both couple a spinning "rim" of sorts to accomplish the end goal, it can be confusing at times to discern between them. :)

The difference lies in the mechanical component coupling, whereas the rim drive couples the motor directly to the platter periphery by means of direct motor to rotating spindle contact, the idler drive couples the rotating motor spindle to a passive rubberized wheel which once engaged provides the rotational force and simultaneous secondary point of contact at the platter side which sends the platter into motion.

Chris, the VPI rim drive is decoupled from the twin motors and in addition, also acts as a flywheel.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Chris, the VPI rim drive is decoupled from the twin motors and in addition, also acts as a flywheel.

Myles, Yes, a keen observation, traditionally, in my view this layout would be considered an idler drive but in this instance referred to as rim drive, perhaps the idler connotation was simply not preferable to the designer. "You say tomato I say tomahto...." :b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, Yes, a keen observation, traditionally, in my view this layout would be considered an idler drive but in this instance referred to as rim drive, perhaps the idler connotation was simply not preferable to the designer. "You say tomato I say tomahto...." :b

The Lenco design didn't go unnoticed -- and in fact, the sound of which, inspired Harry Weisfeld to build his "version." :) And the sonic differences between the belt and rim drives are very pronounced.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
But do they use them on Lencos or Garrads?

Worldcat, To the best of my knowledge, we are the first to design a modern precision inverted bearing solution for the Garrard 301 and Lenco L75 platforms.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Do you have pictures of the table itself? With the inverted bearing.

Worldcat, Nothing official yet by way of photographs but here is a sneak peak.

IMG_6520 copy 1200 .JPG

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Also, See below regarding the PM about the Achates inverted CNC platter underside. IMG_6304 1200 webcopy.JPG

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
That is a serious platter! I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks, would/could be amazing.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_0758 copy 2.JPG IMG_1008 copy.JPG IMG_0775 copy.JPG IMG_0806 copy.JPG

Lin, Shown is the bead blasted option for Achates inverted modular platter - finish African Padauk

First production run is nearly finished.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_1133 copy.JPG

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Bruce, thanks.

World's first inverted modular bearing/platter design based on the legendary Swiss Lenco L75 idler drive geometry.

Entire line of modular platter upper material substitutions to be announced.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Better looking than any digital piece I've ever seen too! :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can someone please explain to me how copper makes a good interface for a record to sit on??

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Copper will give it more damping. It will be a matter of choice on which platter one would like best, be it copper, aluminum, stainless, and or magnesium to name a few. If you notice the two screw holes on top i believe that platter (top plate) will be interchangeable. You will have to ask Chris more on the topic. He will be able to answer better than me.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Copper will give it more damping. It will be a matter of choice on which platter one would like best, be it copper, aluminum, stainless, and or magnesium to name a few. If you notice the two screw holes on top i believe that platter (top plate) will be interchangeable. You will have to ask Chris more on the topic. He will be able to answer better than me.

Wow, this is a fantastic looking table! Anybody here own this table? Tell us what it sounds like….how does it compare to other tables you've had….how is the speed stability? etc, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing