Herzan/Table Stable "Active" Isolation table.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Attachments

• Data Sheet for the Audiophile Community.pdf
    790.3 KB · Views: 921

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, that data sheet seems to be about air-isolation devices like the Vibraplane, if I understand it correctly. The active TS unit you just ordered uses a different technology. Congratulations on placing the order. I'm most interested to read about your results.

I know that. I just thought it would provide more food for application thought for those still considering passive and active isolation tables. I have nothing to lose. I can a/b compare at a touch of a switch for passive or active isolation. When the active is disabled, the table still performs as a passive isolation device via the stiff springs. If there isn't an audible improvement, it can be returned for full refund minus shipping.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I just put the order in and should receive the TS-140 model by next Monday. I thought I would start my own thread for active isolation devices. Herzan's partner in Japan has an interesting publication regarding isolation for the audio community. I have attached the pdf.

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/ts-series.html

congrats Christian, on pulling the trigger. i hope it does bring clear sonic improvements and it turns out to be able to justify it's cost in terms of system performance. i have no doubt on the TS-140's performance, the only question is what sonic result that performance will result in in your specific system application.

as soon as the sale of my ATR-102 is complete, i'll be going down the exact same path as i mentioned before. i will be paying close attention to your experiences.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
congrats Christian, on pulling the trigger. i hope it does bring clear sonic improvements and it turns out to be able to justify it's cost in terms of system performance. i have no doubt on the TS-140's performance, the only question is what sonic result that performance will result in in your specific system application.

as soon as the sale of my ATR-102 is complete, i'll be going down the exact same path as i mentioned before. i will be paying close attention to your experiences.

Thank you for bringing active versus passive solutions to my attention. Wouldn't it be nice to have these things under all major components...;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So my TS 140 arrived today and I have listened to an Orchestral piece so far. To say the change is nothing short of dramatic would be an understatement. The improvement in clarity, transparency is stunning. The soundstage has widened and deepened considerably. With active isolation disabled, the table functions as a passive device like a vibraplane. The improvement was apparent is passive mode. Active brings it to a new level. I will share more impressions as I get time with it. My intial thought...this baby isn't going anywhere (meaning a return). Here's a couple shots from the iphone.

Attachments

• smallIMG_0257.jpg
    smallIMG_0257.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2,969
  • smallIMG_0254.jpg
    smallIMG_0254.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,964
  • smallIMG_0255.jpg
    smallIMG_0255.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 2,973

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What do these sell for, if you don't mind me asking Christian? Glad to hear you are able to observe a substantial difference.

Tom

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you for bringing active versus passive solutions to my attention. Wouldn't it be nice to have these things under all major components...;)

So my TS 140 arrived today and I have listened to an Orchestral piece so far. To say the change is nothing short of dramatic would be an understatement. The improvement in clarity, transparency is stunning. The soundstage has widened and deepened considerably. With active isolation disabled, the table functions as a passive device like a vibraplane. The improvement was apparent is passive mode. Active brings it to a new level. I will share more impressions as I get time with it. My intial thought...this baby isn't going anywhere (meaning a return). Here's a couple shots from the iphone.

Oh, oh......I can see what's coming next! Big influx of cash into Herzan LLC from upstate NY.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Congratulations Christian. I look forward to reading more of your impressions. Could you elaborate on your statement that when the active isolation is disabled, the table functions like a Vibraplane? Does it have air isolation chambers in it? I thought it has mechanical dampeners with sensors that react in close to real time to any detected resonances. When those sensors are disabled, what mechanism serves to isolate the platform/top? I can think of only passive springs which are not like air bladders.

In the Vibraplane case, there are air reserve tanks which supply air to the main bladders when they change in pressure due to vibrations. It is passive in the sense that there is no power connection, but air get replaced automatically from the compressor as soon as it is called for. I don't doubt that in active mode, the TS 140 offers isolation with a lower resonant frequency than the Vibraplane and it is therefor more effective. Thanks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

congrats Christian!!!

glad you are enjoying the TS-140. i look forward to more feedback about it. i'll be joining you shortly.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I forgot to mention the bass and overall dynamics. All improved. In fact the bass is so dense, tight, extended that my deck sounds like tape save for the occasional pop, tick, crackle between songs.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Could you elaborate on your statement that when the active isolation is disabled, the table functions like a Vibraplane? .

Hi Peter..when the unit is turned on, it self adjusts height meaning level. The springs are 500 times stiffer than passive air, so the unit can perform as a passive device. When active is enabled, the peizo devices take over and respond to vibration in all 6 degrees of freedom. Explained better here.
http://www.herzan.com/resources/tutorials/active-vs-passive.html

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I forgot to mention the bass and overall dynamics. All improved. In fact the bass is so dense, tight, extended that my deck sounds like tape save for the occasional pop, tick, crackle between songs.

I kind of makes me wonder why the modern super tables don't incorporate this technology in their designs kind of like the way the Rockport used a modified TMC air isolation table as its base. There is no denying that proper isolation makes a huge difference to source components. Christian, are you getting a second one for your R2R?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I kind of makes me wonder why the modern super tables don't incorporate this technology in their designs kind of like the way the Rockport used a modified TMC air isolation table as its base. There is no denying that proper isolation makes a huge difference to source components. Christian, are you getting a second one for your R2R?

I just put 4 Ultra 5's under my RTR deck...no chump change there. I still need to get more time in, but this thing has transformed the performance of my spinner in a very significant way.

I can only imagine what they could do for source components like the phono stage, main Pre, amps, tape decks, cd, d/a. The possibilities are endless....only pocket book limited...;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I kind of makes me wonder why the modern super tables don't incorporate this technology in their designs kind of like the way the Rockport used a modified TMC air isolation table as its base. There is no denying that proper isolation makes a huge difference to source components.

exactly.

just follow pure science. labs used air suspension in the 90's. magnetic levetation was also used. both are passive approaches.

now the most advanced labs use this.

of course; when you do manufacturing multiples for margin retention for $12k pieces that gets expensive quickly.

this would add at least $20k-$30k to the value of the end product....even if they got a break on it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Expect close to $12k for my model

It should be perfect for the Forsell, that has a very crude suspension. Any one looking for a mint SME30/2 and V tonearm? ;)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It's all your fault.....;)

Very nice. Timely thread. I have been toying with what isolation base/rack to buy for my system. I find myself researching this topic almost as much as any part of my system. Looking at some of the highly priced rack systems like HRS, etc, actually made me think along your lines, using a scientific isolation base for most of my system. The frame actually is secondary when using your approach.

I found the following:

http://www.minusk.com/content/produ...-isolation-platforms-benchtops-isolators.html

It is a passive isolation base and cheaper as well by a large margin. I do not mean to imply that this is a better product for the money, but for a system in general if one is looking for "amp stands", etc, compared to the price of an HRS isolation base or 4 Stillpoint Ultra 5s you can get one of these for the same money which I would presume, based on their published stats isolates better than the other two by a significant margin. I was thinking of experimenting with one for my DAC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing