Report: Teens Using Digital Drugs to Get High

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Kansas, the band, however might not be safe for teens, and could be a gateway band to harder, more dangerous psychedelic fare like Pink Floyd.
Ron Party and I (at least) are sooooo screwed.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It does look extremely dangerous to their hearing. I saw the youtube videos. You can hear the tones from their closed back cans. They look like they are wincing in pain. These kids will go deaf.

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
It does look extremely dangerous to their hearing. I saw the youtube videos. You can hear the tones from their closed back cans. They look like they are wincing in pain. These kids will go deaf.

Just to be clear, the Wired Story is a satire on what may or may not be real news story about "i-doping." (if the story is real then it's even more hilarious that parents,school officials and media would over react to something they clearly don't understand).

I-doping seems to be the act of processing music with binaural beats. Binaural beats is a real auditory phenomenon that occurs when two tones below ~ 1.2 kHz slightly separated in frequency are fed to separate ears. You hear a LF beating between the two tones that causes fluctuations in loudness and localization. If the two tones become too separated in frequency (> 30 Hz or so) you hear two separate localized tones w/o beating.

I can't confirm some of the psychotropic effects from binaural beats reported in the Wired article, although the Wiki article does say binaural beats can reduce anxiety and pain allegedly creating endorphins and dopamine. Sounds a little if-y to me. I'm surprised we haven't seen Binaural Beat Burn-in CDs that make your digital equipment sound smoother, more relaxing and analog-like :)

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
...(if the story is real then it's even more hilarious that parents,school officials and media would over react to something they clearly don't understand).)
Shouldn't be surprised, Sean. Weren't there widespread fears, back in the 50's, that Rock 'n Roll would erode our teenaged morals or sap our Purity Of Essence or some such? ;-)

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Two minutes? Each second seems like a century to me... you may recall the Star Trek Next Generation gag in which Data listens to several musical works all mixed together. His positronic brain was agile enough to separate the cacaphony into separate threads; the humans found the mashup quite distressing!

@RUR... how is it possible for teenage morals to be eroded?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing