Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've never heard the UHQR and doubt I ever will, unless I get lucky on a used copy for a good price. Of the ones I have the Speakers Corner reissue is the best so far.

Original Canadian domestic release
A&M Audiophile
MFSL
Speakers Corner

I seriously doubt this 40th Anniversary will be better, but that's okay as my primary reason for buying this is the live Hammersmith concert disc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Received 10 minutes ago! Too bad I can't play it! :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive from Canada :)

Having been to the Hammersmith Odeon for quite a few concerts when I was studying in London, I am really looking forward to the live concert album.

That's the main reason I bought this for. The LIVE Hammersmith concert. My copy shipped overnight and I don't even have PRIME. Mind you, I usually get my Amazon CA orders within 2-3 days anyway.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It comes with a download code, but only MP3 and different for the studio and Hammersmith albums.

MP3 320 - Crime of the Century
MP3 256 - Hammersmith Odeon 1975 Live Concert

Looks like I'm going to have to buy the Blu-ray as I want a better copy of the Hammersmith concert. I'm covered on CotC.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's a quick copy&paste from another forum that I posted to about this release.

So I finally received the 40th Anniversary vinyl reissue of Supertramp - Crime of the Century this past Thursday. It came in a nice enough box and the vinyl came in plastic/paper sleeves at least. The jackets however are sub-standard IMO and a disappointment. Seeing as this was a UMG Back To Black product I wasn't surprised. I can't play the vinyl right now, but I hear it's a pleasant enough pressing and that's good enough for me.

I bought this 3LP boxset not for the album, but instead the previously unreleased 1975 LIVE concert from London's Hammersmith Odeon theatre. That concert takes up 2 of the 3 discs in this boxset. As a huge fan of this album and the band in general this was a no brainer purchase for me.

As has become fairly commonplace now it came with a download code, so I was able to listen to the LIVE concert without having to wait until my new TT is in place. The weird thing is that the studio album came as a 320/MP3 and the Live concert as a 256/MP3. I didn't need the studio download, but the code forced me to get it. Otherwise I could have passed on that code.

Anyway. Supertramp is a studio band. That pretty sums it up. Listening to the concert it's clear that post-production techniques are a marginal singer's best friend. That's not to say it isn't an enjoyable experience, because it is. I saw them live 3 times in the 70's and truly loved every one of the concerts I attended. I suppose a copious amount of smoke may have helped. LOL!

This live concert btw includes selections from Crime of the Century and their follow-up release Crisis? What Crisis?. Despite my misgivings I'm very glad to now have it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing