A Star is Born?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am not at all embarrassed to admit to the guilty pleasure of being an avid American Idol watcher. While most of the talent is of course mediocre, the show is entertaining, at the very least it gives you an appreciation of how extremely talented the rare great singer that make it to the top really is.

So nothing delights me more than seeing such a one in a million vocal talent come out of nowhere on the show and deliver a rendition of The Cure's "Lovesong", that frankly puts Adele's version to shame. Considering Adele's version features on the best selling album of the last decade, this is no small feat.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7acuT6Sydc4

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm with you as we have been avid Idol fans since the show started and do agree that Candice IMO is hopefully going to win. Simply a magnificent singer. Having said this Idol has fallen dramatically in the ratings this year but in spite of this IMO the best judge to ever come along in the show's history is Nicki Minaj. She holds no hostages when it comes to her opinions of the contestants performances.

Now however for me the best singing talent show on TV hands down is The Voice with incredibly good judges, along with the way contestants are chosen, gives this show the edge. Finally if it weren't for perennial PITA Simon Cowell, The X-Factor might be considered a reasonable reality singing competition.

The Voice is where its at with much better singers and no insulting of any of the singers by the judges

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm with you as we have been avid Idol fans since the show started and do agree that Candice IMO is hopefully going to win. Simply a magnificent singer. Having said this Idol has fallen dramatically in the ratings this year but in spite of this IMO the best judge to ever come along in the show's history is Nicki Minaj. She holds no hostages when it comes to her opinions of the contestants performances.

Now however for me the best singing talent show on TV hands down is The Voice with incredibly good judges, along with the way contestants are chosen, gives this show the edge. Finally if it weren't for perennial PITA Simon Cowell, The X-Factor might be considered a reasonable reality singing competition.

The Voice is where its at with much better singers and no insulting of any of the singers by the judges

Never seen "the voice". Simply lack of time.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Candice, clearly will be the winner. I haven't watched the last results show. I hoping Lazaro is gone.

He was shred to pieces and destroyed in a cringe inducing lynching by the judges - lesser men would have broken down in tears. I admire his courage. But yes - he is gone.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

I agree with you about Nicki Minaj. I also think Keith Urban does a good job at judging. He "corrects" with more "rounded edges" than Nicki but still get his point across.

I also think the female talent this year is collectively as good as it has ever been. While there may (or may not) be a Carrie Underwood level of talent, Kree Harrison, Candice Glover, Amber Holcomb and Angie Miller are all very talented. I don't know if she will win, but I predict Kree will be very successful in the country music genre and Angie will probably end up performing Christian/Gospel/Spiritual music quite successfully. Candice and Amber are both incredibly talented (but Amber does not appear to have the voting base she needs to win). The reason that Kree may win is because, apparently based on past successes on this show and others, country music fans are strong voters.

I would also agree that the talent on The Voice is generally superior but I do not like that format as well. And then there is the X-Factor!!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I agree with you about Nicki Minaj. I also think Keith Urban does a good job at judging. He "corrects" with more "rounded edges" than Nicki but still get his point across.

I also think the female talent this year is collectively as good as it has ever been. While there may (or may not) be a Carrie Underwood level of talent, Kree Harrison, Candice Glover, Amber Holcomb and Angie Miller are all very talented. I don't know if she will win, but I predict Kree will be very successful in the country music genre and Angie will probably end up performing Christian/Gospel/Spiritual music quite successfully. Candice and Amber are both incredibly talented (but Amber does not appear to have the voting base she needs to win). The reason that Kree may win is because, apparently based on past successes on this show and others, country music fans are strong voters.

I would also agree that the talent on The Voice is generally superior but I do not like that format as well. And then there is the X-Factor!!!

I think Candice is easily Carry Underwood caliber, if not better. Look at how she is improving week after week. Carry underwood at this stage in the competition was not even close to Candice level.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the first time in 12 seasons I actually got on my feet slack jawed when Candice busted out her rendition of Love Song. I LOVE that song and have it in my collection sung by The Cure, Adele, 311, Death Cab for Cutie and even an angry Tool + Perfect Circle version.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing