First High End Turntable

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was at a Dead Concert in Toronto in the early 80's

All I remember was the concert was still going by 1:00AM and it seemed they were still on the 2nd song. Too much smoke in the air I guess.

Reactions: HughP3

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was at a Dead Concert in Toronto in the early 80's

All I remember was the concert was still going by 1:00AM and it seemed they were still on the 2nd song. Too much smoke in the air I guess.

One of my friends had a live Dead bootleg LP (and remember how the Dead used to encourage their fans to record them?) where Jerry was so stoned he forgot the words to the song and there was a 45 sec gap with him trying to remember the words..... :)

Dante

Apr 28, 2010
Philippines
My first high end (to me) turntable is my Nottingham Audio Spacedeck.

I have since moved up (or down, depending on viewpoint) to a Garrard 301 -

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My first high end table was the AR XA with Shue cartridge thrown in for a modest price. I purchased it at the mall with money from my summer job. The salesman took deposits on his demo AR 2a speakers before it went on sale. He was so impressed with what a dedicated young audiophile iI was.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My first high end table was the AR XA with shue cartridge thrown in for a modest price. I purchased it at the mall with money from my summer job. The salesman took deposits on his demo AR 2a speakers before it went on sale. He was so impressed with what a dedicated young audiophile iI was.

Funny thing was the AR's sound kicked the early DD Technics tables, that the reviewers in SR and similar ilk, raved about. So much for being able to stand on the turntable and have it turn at the right speed!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My first high end (to me) turntable is my Nottingham Audio Spacedeck.

I have since moved up (or down, depending on viewpoint) to a Garrard 301 -

The Garrard looks real pretty. Is that an Ortofon mounted in the Garrard?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Great thread idea!

My first "real" turntable was a Roksan Xerxes, finished in piano lacquer black; a thing of beauty it was! I initially used it with a Rega RB300 tonearm and a modified Audio Technica ATF3 MC cartridge. I later upgraded the arm to an SME Series V and the cartridge to an Audio technica OC9 (I think).

I now use a Forsell Air Reference Mk 2 with a Lyra Parnassus, although both are due for replacement (especially the latter).

hifitommy

its been a long trek

from my dual 1214 (assuredly NOT high end) with shure m91e i went to a rabco st4/adcXLM, a major step up. using the album that infinity used for voicing their bass-carly simon's "anticipation"-i started evaluating my purchase. the tune 'ive got to have you' on side two proved to be the eye opener.

this disc has quite wide dynamic range. the voice, piano, and drums all hit it on the phrase: ive got to HAVE you! the emphasis is on the 'HAVE' which just about knocked me off the couch. and this was with a sherwood s8900a receiver and stacked dynaco a25s. this table also did well with the grado F1+ cartridge. but its the XLM that is the star cartridge, my all time favorite.

dont get me wrong, i love my FR mc, and my other carts, but the XLM and the micro acoustics 2002e were right up there. my current tt, the sota sapphire/mmt is also quite satisfying.

...regards...tr

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
She's a beauty and I love that pretty blue light on the cartridge! There...I said it!

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's a beauty. Have seen many pics of the Teres but never had the opportunity ever to listen to one :(

Have you ever used a strain gauge before the Soundsmith? What are your impressions about the sound of the cartridge?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
That's a beauty. Have seen many pics of the Teres but never had the opportunity ever to listen to one :(

Have you ever used a strain gauge before the Soundsmith? What are your impressions about the sound of the cartridge?

Hi Myles,

I never had a chance to listen to the previous Strain Gauge Cartridges, just the Soundsmith version which is supposed to be much improved by Peter Ledermann. I am extremely pleased with the results and the audio performance. I am getting a really wonderful performance with the combination of the Turntable, Tonearm and the Cartridge/Phono Preamp together. Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mills Audio helped me to reset up the cartridge and tonearm after a mishap and the cartridge had to go back to Soundsmith for repair. I had some speakers at the time that did not go well in my system. Jonathan Weiss brought in some of his OMA Mini horns into my room for a demo after I had heard his larger speakers at the Oswald's Mill. We were really impressed by the performance of the "small" speakers. Tremendous detail, depth, speed, power, percussion, sweet highs, amazing and tight bass especially for the size speakers. The cartrodge is very fast with both the early and the late transients and the late harmonics of instruments and voices. It has many of the best characteristics of digital as well as vinyl. Jonathan and his assistant were really impressed as well. As a result of that listening session I have gone forward in ordering some speakers from Jonathan that I hope to have in my system in 3 weeks to a month. I will make an announcement and post photos after their arrival. In any case the problematic speakers that I had have been returned and I now have my totally rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers back in the system which really sounded excellent in my system when Chris Brady reinstalled the turntable and helped me move it to my new home in December. I have to give the system with the rebuilt Dahlquists a listen in the next few days.

Rich

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

I never had a chance to listen to the previous Strain Gauge Cartridges, just the Soundsmith version which is supposed to be much improved by Peter Ledermann. I am extremely pleased with the results and the audio performance. I am getting a really wonderful performance with the combination of the Turntable, Tonearm and the Cartridge/Phono Preamp together. Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mills Audio helped me to reset up the cartridge and tonearm after a mishap and the cartridge had to go back to Soundsmith for repair. I had some speakers at the time that did not go well in my system. Jonathan Weiss brought in some of his OMA mini hons into my room for a demo after I had heard his larger speakers at the Oswald's Mill. We were really impressed by the performance of the "small" speakers. Tremendous detail, depth, speed, power, percussion, sweet highs, amazing and tight bass especially for the size speakers. The cartrodge is very fast with both the early and the late transients and the late harmonics of instruments and voices. It has many of the best characteristics of digital as well as vinyl. Jonathan and his assistant were really impressed as well. As a result of that listening session I have gone forward in ordering some speakers from Jonathan that I hope to have in my system in 3 weeks to a month. I will make an announcement and post photos after their arrival. In any case the problematic speakers that I had have been returned and I now have my totally rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers back in the system which really sounded excellent in my system when Chris Brady reinstalled the turntable and helped me move it to my new home in December. I have to give the system with the rebuilt Dahlquists a listen in the next few days.

Rich

Cool, always have had a warm spot in my heart for the old Dollies. I wonder how many audiophiles cut their teeth on the DQ10s. Know I did --and like many--modded them.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing