How Much Stuff Have You Destroyed in Your Audiophile Career?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My sister calls that "letting the magic smoke out". I once blew up a pair of 120,000uF capacitors. The smoke filled the 6,000 sq.ft. warehouse. We had to open the doors and air the place out for an hour. I still remember the smell and the look on her face.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
My sister calls that "letting the magic smoke out". I once blew up a pair of 120,000uF capacitors. The smoke filled the 6,000 sq.ft. warehouse. We had to open the doors and air the place out for an hour. I still remember the smell and the look on her face.

Letting the maginc smoke out is a very apt description!

I've (deliberately) blown up a few much smaller value caps, so a pair of 120,000µF caps must've one hell of a mess! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Naw nothing depressing about blowing stuff up - you must have brought your own depression to the thread. My contribution is at least a tube length of TO220 MOSFETs when I was developing my MOSFET output stage amplifier - the smell of the smoke FETs let out is still ingrained in my memory even now, almost 30 years later...

Richard, it was simply an innocent humorist comment.

* Carl, our OP (of this thread), is probably the most humorist member here at WBF.

Emoticon it, or emoticon not. ...I love life, real life, and when things blew up they are usually accidents that could have been prevented. We are careless sometimes, to our own consternation. ...And I experienced it myself first-hand in the past, at my very own and costly expense.
...For me it is depressing (not in a negative way, but realistic one), because it reminds me of my own human weaknesses. And when you are emotionally sensitive to the things you destroyed in your life (by careless actions), then it is totally and perfectly natural to say the things we sometimes say, because they're our own, and we are reminded by other's own 'accidents'.

Yes, like anyone else I blew up few tweeters in my years (from graphic EQs), and over-rode couple amps, but nothing compares to abandoning all your music and audio gear because you forgot of who you were, and couldn't handle the pressure that sometimes life brings with it. ...Simple human nature. Some can escape it, others can't.

Easily over $100,000 I blew up; radically!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Ah, most was done in my youth, starting at age twelve when I blew my dads Dynaco 120 amp over-driving the system with some Emerson Lake and Palmer music (Tarkus IRRC).
Then one or two Shure V-15 carts in his system.

Once I got my own gear, no problems. Even after designing my own power subsystem, running all active crossovers and modding my own speakers. Guess if I had to pay for it, I was careful ;)

So my dad received a lot of "guilt conscience" system upgrades from me over his last few decades as I could now afford the penance.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Nothing smoked or blasted in A/V, with CPU h/w, that's diff kettle fish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing