Nakamichi Dragon

Klangquali

Jul 18, 2012
I've only listened to parts of tracks so far, but I think it reveals how poor commercial prerecorded cassettes were! LP is light years ahead, and I don't have a CD player in my main system. My only experience with reel to reel (outside shows where I've been treated to some of Bruce B's and others' Studer and UHA 15 IPS and 30 IPS wonders) is many years ago, and that was only a 7.5 IPS model.
That was what I thought as well in former times but nowadays I changed my mind. If you listen to a music cassette from a very good deck this could change your mind as well. Here an example for very good sound quality for a prerecorded cassette:

Attachments

• RickieLeeJones.jpg
    RickieLeeJones.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 426

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Rick,
The dragon was supposed to be the best deck for playback of pre recorded cassettes as it constantly monitored the azimuth of the playback head (NAAC System) and adjusted for best frequency response on the fly. The dragon was the only cassette deck ever made that did this to my knowledge. As for recording I think the best decks in the Nackamichi range were probably the ZXL1000 and the ZX9. Another stand out for playback is the 682ZX. I still use my decks but not as much as I used to, as I got infected with a R2R Studer bug. Ha Ha
Cheers
Graham

Still feel bad about selling my 682ZX - outstanding performance and perfect operation up till I sold it a few years ago; the fluorescent screen was still bright green. BIG Sigh!

Englishaudiophile

Jul 30, 2012
This reminds me that I still have a TD-1200 mkII stored away. This was the incar equivalent of the Dragon for mobile use.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Heard it some days back at Xavier's place:

!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 275

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I agree with Steve, great deck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 277

topoxforddoc

Feb 20, 2015
Cheltenham, UK
Listening to my Nak Dragon this evening. Mine was overhauled by Alex Nikitin (ANT4066) a few years ago with a full set of ANT 4066 mods. Still sounds much better than any cassette format should.

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
They offered the "gold" option for the Nakamichi 1000, but I'm not aware of a gold dragon.
The gold Nak was a limited production version of the 1000ZXL. The only difference between the limited production piece and the standard 1000ZXL was the gold faceplate and a couple of thousand in price.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi guys just an update , I just recently acquired this Nakamichi from a friend . Since I regret selling my Nak 700ZXE back in 1990 , I was lucky to get this one . As of now its an ormament . The parts needed for restoration ( belts , capacitors , caps for the P.S ) has arrived and just waiting for scheduling w/ my tech .

Attachments

• FD0715D2-285C-46AA-BC61-A7B5E594F359.jpeg
    FD0715D2-285C-46AA-BC61-A7B5E594F359.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 16

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing