Transformer Appropriate For Tape Head Pre Amp

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Good afternoon all,

The tech working to complete my tape head pre amp has run into a real hiss problem. A great suggestion is to use a Transformer at the input and maybe change the pre amp tubes from 12AX7's to EF86's which are said to be much more quiet. Initially, I was not aware of where to look for the proper type of transformer. However, I found what appears to be a good one. It's the Lundahl LL-1550 from K&K Audio. The price is $91 dollars. We are using point to point wiring throughout the pre amp so it should be easy to add the transformer. And, I finally found a photo of thise particular transformer and it's pretty compact. Years ago when I repaired TV sets transformers were gigantic with plenty of iron.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lundahl LL-1550 transformer and if so please share that information with me. On the other hand if you know of another transformer that would be preferable please chime in. Any other advice will be more than welcomed as well. I appreciate the help.

jazzbo

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The LL1550 is a generic direct box type transformer - I do not see any reason why it would be a good transformer for tape heads. If you are looking for Lundahl transformers I suggest that you contact Per Lundhal by mail giving him the characteristics of the head - every time I asked him a question I got the answer in less than 24hours, unless he is the vacation period. If you need his mail address send me a PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing