Zero Distortion: Altec Assault and the Magic of Misho (Audio Antiquary)

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How do you know this? The Genelecs he showed could be outstanding…you have heard them?
I agree with @bonzo75. I was looking for a new speaker around 1998-99 and seriously considering Genelec 1037B. I really liked Genelec’s sound back then. I also liked big EAW, Marten (English), 70’s ElectroVoice and Dynacord. Not every speaker from those brands but some specific models I couldn’t remember now. Although they were built for pro use but still smoother than counterparts. Somehow we couldn’t manage to agree on a price with the Genelec distributor. It was around 5000$ back then. It’s actually been good to me cause they were not suitable for homes. After that I made a stupid mistake and bought a low performance vintage speakers. If I had known better I would have bought Dynaco A25, A35, Acoustic Research 2, AR3, AR10 or large Advents. Anyway people learn from their mistakes. I still like Genelec’s sound but I think it is not like an Altec nor suitable for domestic use.

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I agree with @bonzo75. I was looking for a new speaker around 1998-99 and seriously considering Genelec 1037B. I really liked Genelec’s sound back then. I also liked big EAW, Marten (English), 70’s ElectroVoice and Dynacord. Not every speaker from those brands but some specific models I couldn’t remember now. Although they were built for pro use but still smoother than counterparts. Somehow we couldn’t manage to agree on a price with the Genelec distributor. It was around 5000$ back then. It’s actually been good to me cause they were not suitable for homes. After that I made a stupid mistake and bought a low performance vintage speakers. If I had known better I would have bought Dynaco A25, A35, Acoustic Research 2, AR3, AR10 or large Advents. Anyway people learn from their mistakes. I still like Genelec’s sound but I think it is not like an Altec nor suitable for domestic use.
Could be, but remember most of the Altecs we are talking about were not really for home use either...

Reactions: mtemur

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I can’t think of why it wouldn’t work. It sounds wonderful with New Audio Frontiers 845 SE SET of 25 Watts. I actually ended up selling my pair of JL subs as a result.
With 32 wt of ML3 it should be glorious, given the Lamms quality.
Im listening to ML 3 in my friends system pretty frequently and its amazing.
Have you by any chance tried the Lamm in your system?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: adamaley

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Did you have the opportunity to spend time comparing your current amplification against the Lamm 2’s ?
Sorry no,
I sold Lamms before I got the Altecs.
My intuition tells me they would have been a good match

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I can’t think of why it wouldn’t work. It sounds wonderful with New Audio Frontiers 845 SE SET of 25 Watts. I actually ended up selling my pair of JL subs as a result.
With 32 wt of ML3 it should be glorious, given the Lamms quality.
Im listening to ML 3 in my friends system pretty frequently and its amazing.
Which amplifier so far is tops in your book?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Which amplifier so far is tops in your book?
I have ended up with McIntosh MC30 that had been modified according to Mr. Shirokazu Yazaki (via Jeff Day blog) with Arizona caps, etc., all NOS tube (GE6l6GC, Telefunken 12 AU7, etc.).
I have to say that New Audio Frontiers 845 SE (for sale now) is also pretty good, but I figured, that pairing of Altec with the same era McIntosh MC30 is a logical choice, since they had been both developed given the prevailing technologies available at that time (high sensitivity, paper cones drivers, etc.)

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I have ended up with McIntosh MC30 that had been modified according to Mr. Shirokazu Yazaki (via Jeff Day blog) with Arizona caps, etc., all NOS tube (GE6l6GC, Telefunken 12 AU7, etc.).
I have to say that New Audio Frontiers 845 SE (for sale now) is also pretty good, but I figured, that pairing of Altec with the same era McIntosh MC30 is a logical choice, since they had been both developed given the prevailing technologies available at that time (high sensitivity, paper cones drivers, etc.)
That's quite the left turn. How does the Macintosh compare to the Tomas Mayer gear so far?

Reactions: cal3713

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
That's quite the left turn. How does the Macintosh compare to the Tomas Mayer gear so far?
That’s a difficult compare
Thomas Mayer are 8 Wt and Macs are 30
More muscle

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have fairly large room and tend to listen at 85-90 dB

Reactions: adamaley

pdreher

Aug 21, 2020
St. Louis Missouri
Did you have someone refurbish your MC30's with the Shirokazu Yazaki mods, or did you buy them with the mods already performed?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Did you have someone refurbish your MC30's with the Shirokazu Yazaki mods, or did you buy them with the mods already performed?
I had somebody to perform the mods
Buying all the necessary parts was somewhat of a challenge.

pdreher

Aug 21, 2020
St. Louis Missouri
I had somebody to perform the mods
Buying all the necessary parts was somewhat of a challenge.
Was there a substantial improvement in sound quality after the refurbishment? Can you share the name of the person that did the work, assuming he/she offers this service to the public?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Was there a substantial improvement in sound quality after the refurbishment? Can you share the name of the person that did the work, assuming he/she offers this service to the public?
I haven’t listened to them prior to the updates.
Tyler is great, very professional and a pleasure to work with

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing