WWDC-Tim Cook

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm watching the Key Note address and the new OS is called Yosemite and it is laden with some terrific upgrades, including answering your phone on your mac as well as finishing messages started on the phone and finished on the Mac

All new icon look as well as the dock etc, etc

So far the upgrades are terrific

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I wish they would just fix that lousy program iTunes first. Spend two hours trying to synch my daughter's an iPhone after getting a new computer - so far no success. This has to be the most counter-intuitive, user unfriendly piece of junk software release to the public since windows 95.

Steve Williams

I wish they would just fix that lousy program iTunes first. Spend two hours trying to synch my daughter's an iPhone after getting a new computer - so far no success. This has to be the most counter-intuitive, user unfriendly piece of junk software release to the public since windows 95.

Really???

Just showed a much improved Notification Center in ios8

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I watched most of the keynote and the one area that really intrigues me is Continuity

Continuity
Continuity is the biggest new feature of OS X Yosemite, improving the connection between Macs and iOS devices. With Continuity, it's possible to share files between Mac and iOS devices and it's also possible to make phone calls on a Mac via an iPhone.

AirDrop finally allows users to share files, photos, and more between iOS devices and Macs. Previously, this feature only allowed files to be shared from Mac to Mac or from iPhone to iPhone, which means sharing files from an iOS device to a Mac will now be far easier. Apple also debuted Handoff, which is a feature that allows iOS devices and Macs to recognize one another, letting users seamlessly transition from one device to another. For example, if a webpage is opened on Safari on a Mac, a user can pick up an iPhone and continue browsing that same site on his iOS device. In a demo on stage, the function was used to show an email started on the Mac continued on an iPhone.

Through Continuity, iPhone communications integration allows users to make and answer phone calls sent to their iPhones right on their Macs. "Green bubble" SMS messages from Android also now show up on Macs, and it's easier than ever for a Mac to connect to an iPhone hotspot.

Steve Williams

I watched most of the keynote and the one area that really intrigues me is Continuity

Continuity
Continuity is the biggest new feature of OS X Yosemite, improving the connection between Macs and iOS devices. With Continuity, it's possible to share files between Mac and iOS devices and it's also possible to make phone calls on a Mac via an iPhone.

AirDrop finally allows users to share files, photos, and more between iOS devices and Macs. Previously, this feature only allowed files to be shared from Mac to Mac or from iPhone to iPhone, which means sharing files from an iOS device to a Mac will now be far easier. Apple also debuted Handoff, which is a feature that allows iOS devices and Macs to recognize one another, letting users seamlessly transition from one device to another. For example, if a webpage is opened on Safari on a Mac, a user can pick up an iPhone and continue browsing that same site on his iOS device. In a demo on stage, the function was used to show an email started on the Mac continued on an iPhone.

Through Continuity, iPhone communications integration allows users to make and answer phone calls sent to their iPhones right on their Macs. "Green bubble" SMS messages from Android also now show up on Macs, and it's easier than ever for a Mac to connect to an iPhone hotspot.

I thought that was fascinating as well. Right now inly via imessage

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
All looks cool. Particularly interested in how Healthkit and Homekit evolve, and what kinds of hardware develop around them. Also interested in the photo side: what kinds of editing tools trickle down from Aperture, how they make these easy for the average user, and how useful it'll be to travel/work on from the same photo/doc from one device to another. Great too that developers can now get manual control of the camera, opens up lots of possibilities. Maybe one day the camera manufacturers will join the 21st century and make their hardware compatible with the ecosystem. Amazing that wifi is just now becoming almost standard on new cams.

Looks like Apple is leveraging their advantage, control of software and hardware, really well. They appear to be addressing one of their sore spots, cloud services/functionality too.

The other sore spot is iTunes; the name itself implies the problem. It started as a music app, then grew into a movie/podcast/radio hub, sync point, store , etc -- a multiheaded beast that lacks the clarity of purpose/use of most of their other programs. I know Apple is aware of the issue at least.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing