Would you take a patient off of life support, if in "vegetative state"?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Perhaps I might turn the question around and ask you if you would want your life support turned off if you were in a persistent vegetative state?

Suppose there was no doubt that you were conscious and aware of your surroundings, but required help with everything - a condition called locked in syndrome. Would you want your life support turned off?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Perhaps I might turn the question around and ask you if you would want your life support turned off if you were in a persistent vegetative state?

Suppose there was no doubt that you were conscious and aware of your surroundings, but required help with everything - a condition called locked in syndrome. Would you want your life support turned off?

Oh hell yeah..... there is no quality of life. It's good that Washington has a Death with Dignity law on the books!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I thought it was families who decided when to turn things off?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Oh hell yeah..... there is no quality of life. It's good that Washington has a Death with Dignity law on the books!

"What's the point of living if you can't feel alive" - recognize that 007 movie line?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If I had a 1000 doctors agree that a person was a permanent veggie-table (that's slang for vegetable), I would have them removed from life support in a heartbeat. Vegetables should always be planted in the ground.

Steve Williams

Anyone see the film based on a true story called The Diving Bell And The Butterfly?

A truly remarkable film that is a must see re Locked In Syndrome. Watch it and then ask if you want to turn off life support

On December 9, 1995, Bauby, the editor-in-chief of French Elle magazine, suffered a stroke and lapsed into a coma. He awoke 20 days later, mentally aware of his surroundings, but physically paralyzed with what is known as locked-in syndrome , with the only exception of some movement in his head and eyes.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Also, unlike persistent vegetative state, locked-in syndrome does (rarely) disappear.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I would take myself off. Vegged-out or locked-in...time to move on.

Tim

Steve Williams

I would take myself off. Vegged-out or locked-in...time to move on.

Tim

Tim

you've been so absent lately that we've been wondering if you have been in a vegetative state ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If Tim were a Veggie he'd be a Habanero Pepper. :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

I personally feel the same way. The best way to avoid this fate is to make sure that everyone knows what you think. My wife knows that if this were to happen to me - I want my life support turned off and my organs donated.

Steve Williams

I personally feel the same way. The best way to avoid this fate is to make sure that everyone knows what you think. My wife knows that if this were to happen to me - I want my life support turned off and my organs donated.

Keith

Your organs are going to be donated to an Apple share holder and Steve Jobs follower ;)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Down the road I will instruct my kids, as my Dad did to me, to pull the plug if my quality of life is gone.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My mom's out of her coma.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We've actually been looking at advanced directives. One thing is to think about what effect a prolonged "vegetative state" or any progressive illness with no hope of recovery does to your family - spouse and kids and how it can really take a toll on their lives, while doing nothing for your life.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing