Who has bought esoteric wire for behind the wall

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am curious how many people have purchased some of the supposed higher quality wires that are installed inside your walls to feed 120 volt power to your audio system. Particularly in the US and Canada.

I ask because I have looked and looked, and what do you know, a plant stepped forth and said they can make me a batch of Ono Cast 10 awg wire that is twisted and jacketed with a UL stamp. This would be the real deal. An extremely low crystal count high purity.copper wire. No bull crap or fancy treatment. Just an excellent piece of wire that is legal anywhere in the USA and Canada.

The kicker is, I have to purchase a 30,000 foot spool. Do the math. Yes, its about a million dollar investment. But 30,000/100 which is an average use of wire on a project is maybe 300 jobs. That doea not sound crazy. But are peope actually using it? Do people really spend $60 a foot for Oyaide, JPSLabs or Audience.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I spent 20 bucks/ft. for some UL approved #6 w/ground, purported to be "good" copper, but surely not Ohno. FWIW, I would not spend more. Well, maybe for a short run, but not for 100 feet. Not even for 50 feet.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I bought the Audience Hidden Treasure and had my electrician run 4 20 amp dedicated lines to my listening area. It was a fairly short run of maybe 25 feet for each one so it wasn't a big investment. I'm very happy with it but who knows if a generic 10 gauge wire would have been just as good.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have not but I did rewire with a heavy gauge Rolex on my last listening room. Made a nice difference!

I probably would have gone for JPS had I had the funds at the time.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I installed 25mt. OYAIDE EE / F-S2.6 102 SSC Copper cable from meter to the back of the system. It is totally rewarding.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I have 3 25’ runs if JPS. I would like to replace them with 10 Ga copper. But I can’t seem to get a reply fron the guy.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I have not gone with esoteric $200-300 per meter wire due to the lengths involved in my past homes. It is cost prohibitive for something that is not practical to remove if a house is sold and for which multiple long runs must be considered.

This is not a value judgement, there are several manufacturers out there I would have loved to use their product.

If the price for good, grain-oriented OCC or suitable wire could be made more reasonable, I would definitely reconsider buying for this and a future house in advance.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
JPS labs is copper. Its tin coated. It does not have any aluminum in it.

If I got good wire, It would have to be about $60 a foot.
I have not gone with esoteric $200-300 per meter wire due to the lengths involved in my past homes. It is cost prohibitive for something that is not practical to remove if a house is sold and for which multiple long runs must be considered.
Thats a good point Mark. If I were to put a wire that expnesive into my house, I would sleeve it through ENT (smirf tube). Then its easy to yard out and take with you. Any, you can always change up what you have if your using a pipe.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
JPS labs is copper. Its tin coated. It does not have any aluminum in it.

Are you sure? When they say "copper alloy," I'm pretty sure they mean aluminum is mixed in there.

IMG_7600.jpeg

Reactions: mtemur

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Are you sure? When they say "copper alloy," I'm pretty sure they mean aluminum is mixed in there.
Some year back when I was first getting started, I had a long conversation with the distributor of JPS Labs. I don't know for sure what the wire really is, or where its sourced. My understanding is its a fine stranded copper with a tin coating. There is no aluminum in it. Its probably decent wire and will last a lifetime with little degradation in conductivity over time. I just decided it was not for me to pursure as a product to carry.
Send me a small snip of scrap from your project. Let me look at it.

For a while I was seeing some copper coated aluminum being run on jobsites where the wire as feeding something like a 5000A switchboard. Maybe a 1200 sub distribution board. Big fat wire. Think 500 MCM. Single wires as big around as 3 or 4 of your fingers. Its not going to end up in a 10 awg branch wire. Aluminum as a branch was done for a short while in the 70s and everyone saw the disaster immediatly and it not legal anymore. They may still do it in large feeder/service runs where cost is a factor.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
When I built my listening studio/office nearly two decades ago I wired it with all home runs of Hovland (my old company) MainLine AC cable. It, along with the heavy duty sub-panel and all the outlets were cryogenically treated (sent to a firm with a special process—they also treated cymbal and drum heads).

large.58cd9c252dee4_StudioMainLinedpanel.jpg.4f423d727ab962a6d058c0707195607f.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing