Who bought the most expensive album ever made?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dislike him eve more after seeing that video. It is one thing to plead the 5th, but another to giggle about it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very interesting story, Steve.
Even though I collect records ( and have done so for most of my life), I personally wouldn't give a nickel for the one in the article. No interest whatsoever in it.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Putting aside for a moment the nastiness of the buyer of the record, am I the only one who thinks the Wutang Clan are either supremely arrogant or supremely cynical marketers ?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I think Martin Shkreli is symptomatic of an Industry where Capitalism just does not work very well.

There was uproar when he increased the price of pyrimethamine by 5000% to 750$ a pill. Even after he left Turing pharma, that increase still stands. The announcement they where to offer discounts of up to 50% to Hospitals is just the hight of hypocrisy.
Charging a fortune for a 50 year old drug with horrid side effects and then putting the money into the development of yet another medication where there are allready plenty of alternatives, is just so typical of the profit driven behavour of this industry.
Have a look at how many slightly different drugs for high blood pressure there are on the market, that all do virtualy the same thing. I hope when we all start dying of Drug resistent infections someone will ask why no one is interested in developing new medication against them.
Martin Shkreli is just the tip of the iceberg. For me i would rather have someone who openly admits that he is motivated by greed, than someone who is going to lie to your face about what his motives are...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think Martin Shkreli is symptomatic of an Industry where Capitalism just does not work very well.

There was uproar when he increased the price of pyrimethamine by 5000% to 750$ a pill. Even after he left Turing pharma, that increase still stands. The announcement they where to offer discounts of up to 50% to Hospitals is just the hight of hypocrisy.
Charging a fortune for a 50 year old drug with horrid side effects and then putting the money into the development of yet another medication where there are allready plenty of alternatives, is just so typical of the profit driven behavour of this industry.
Have a look at how many slightly different drugs for high blood pressure there are on the market, that all do virtualy the same thing. I hope when we all start dying of Drug resistent infections someone will ask why no one is interested in developing new medication against them.
Martin Shkreli is just the tip of the iceberg. For me i would rather have someone who openly admits that he is motivated by greed, than someone who is going to lie to your face about what his motives are...

Thank You so very much for a different perspective. Big Pharma doesn't belong on top of a pedestal.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Thank You so very much for a different perspective. Big Pharma doesn't belong on top of a pedestal.

The joke is that you cant even blame them for operating this way, because they dont have any real choice. It costs 2.6 Billion $ (!!!!) to develop a new Drug.
When it comes to why a company would spend that amount, sick and dying people are not a real part of the consideration.....
That is why i think capitalism should not be applicable in situations where peoples lives and wellbeing is at stake...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've worked in medical research most of my life and you wouldn't believe the budgets we had to buy equipment for some of these pharmaceutical protocols. Was nothing for them to write a check for a $300k C-arm or buy us a $2mil MRI unit!

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've worked in medical research most of my life and you wouldn't believe the budgets we had to buy equipment for some of these pharmaceutical protocols. Was nothing for them to write a check for a $300k C-arm or buy us a $2mil MRI unit!

Oversight...what does that word mean???? We have never heard of such a term! :(

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Very interesting story, Steve.
Even though I collect records ( and have done so for most of my life), I personally wouldn't give a nickel for the one in the article. No interest whatsoever in it.
Same here. Wu Tang? WTF!!!!!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Using money to get "cred"? Pathetic.

Using money to get a date? Equally so.

Jacking up prices of medicine for no other reason but to get that money? Just throw the guy in Prison already. Love to see the cred and the dates he gets in there!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ya but we have plenty of egos for collecting music and things of "the best" :cool:

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Interestingly, he seems to be reviled for doing something that seems perfectly legal and not for the *actual* crimes he is charged with (fraud)
Interesting isn't it! As you say he got kicked out of turing for Fraud and not the Diaprim extortion. The problem is the System and not the operator.......

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing