What to do with those 'Stuck Pixels' on your Plasma screen?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Bob, if it makes you feel better, read the extended warranty - that you didn't get - carefully. Mine (which I also didn't get) said something like the following: there would have to be at least 10 defective pixels in the center of the screen, in an area not covering more than 10% of the total surface, for a panel to be eligible for free replacement.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
-----Twelve feet distance you want at least a 120" screen (diag), to be truly effective, as fully immersed in the story from the moving pictures in front of your eyes; just like in real life.

Yes, it is why we are using a projector to see movies, although my wife dreams about a 100" plasma!
PS - I hope no one from the objectivist side reads your comment about like in real life. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, if it makes you feel better, read the extended warranty - that you didn't get - carefully. Mine (which I also didn't get) said something like the following: there would have to be at least 10 defective pixels in the center of the screen, in an area not covering more than 10% of the total surface, for a panel to be eligible for free replacement.

-----Yeah, with all the researches and readings that I did I know the full scoop from all major HDTV manufacturers regarding their warranty details on stuck and dead pixels (LCDs and Plasmas).
They are very specific (each one of them) as to how many stuck or dead pixels you need in order to be eligible for a replacement after a year with an extended warranty. And not only that but they also mention the color they need to be! ...The Green ones being the most offensive of them all, the Blue ones the most peaceful, and the Red ones eventually going to meet their ultimate faith, death (becoming black)!
...And if it's within 30 days it is totally different. So time is very relevant.

But it goes much further than that; it depends too from where you purchased your HDTV.
Amazon being one of the very best place for a quick replacement no question ask.
And depending of where you live; for a service technician to replace your screen promptly and fast.

Anyway, I could write a book or two 'bout it, but I simply won't. :b
The fact is this: no matter if you change your flat panel HDTV five or six times in only one year's span, there is no guaranty that you'll have a TV without faults that is within the margin of error for this type of market.
And even if you're lucky enough to find one without you being aware of few stuck or dead pixels, you'll get some of them eventually.

And who's best? Well, for Plasma flat panels Pioneer Elite Kuros of course, but they just are no more.
Then it's a pretty much a toss between Panasonic and Samsung plasmas.

Sony doesn't do plasma, only LCD LEDs and OLEDs.
LG, a third for plasma.

Sharp Elite; it's an LCD LED and it cost more too.

Sizes? Sharp has a 90" LCD LED, and Sony an 84" one.
By the way, the pixel's size on a 90" flat panel screen is much bigger than on a 50" model size one.

*** The bigger your screen, the bigger and most obvious the defects are. :b
And the closer you sit to those defects, the further they are amplified. :D

It's like a poison you pick to kill yourself, the closer to pure arsenic you are the better.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, it is why we are using a projector to see movies, although my wife dreams about a 100" plasma!
PS - I hope no one from the objectivist side reads your comment about like in real life. :)

-----100" plasma, from Panasonic; very prohibitively expensive! :eek:

Yes, with Music it is the very same; to get a larger and realistic soundstage (like in real life) you need a larger room with larger loudspeakers, or smaller monitors but sitting two or three feet from them.

In the future (where all of us won't be no more), music and movies will play from transplanted systems on a chip in our brain!
...Large screens and all that surround jazz .... :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's continuous stories like these which keep me content with my old CRT screen.

Well, at least until January when I plan to replace it.

-----Yes George, but those issues become 'almost' (96.393%) irrelevant when you compare the overall picture quality between today's nice flat Plasma panels and yesterday's CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TVs. :b

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Bob,
Yes, I can see how that would be bothersome. Forget the high tech fixes. You have to play rough. Get out an old wood auger and select the smallest bit. Mark the position of the bad pixel with a felt tip pen. Turn off the TV (very important). Drill a hole at that exact location on the screen. OK, now the bad pixel is removed. Now, the most important step, buy a new TV. I can't understand why the experts did not come up with this solution!!

Problem solved. Bad pixel removed and now you have a good picture. Perfect fix!

Sparky :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing