What material makes for the best amp base

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Ahh... hmm... dedicated A/C and ductwork blowing behind the amp(s)??? or just blowing :D

I have my Spectral DMA 400's on thick slabs of absolute black granite with an a/c duct in the floor located right behind them. In the winter, the heat vent/duct (same one as the A/C duct) is closed and sealed. I have no heating issues what so ever!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FWIW, after I got the proper sized Auralex subwoofer isolation platform for my sub (my sub was bigger than the original-sized auralex), the original-sized Auralex became 'leftover'.

I decided to put it under my Gryphon Colosseum amp to see what happened...things certainly changed. I got a far better soundstage depth and transparency, but the signal got a bit hard and felt like the magic nuanced midrange disappeared...disappointing. I ended up playing around with it and found that putting 'very' heavy weight on top of the amp brought back all the purity of tonality and strength of signal (less hard, more nuanced)...and more...the noise floor seemed improved perhaps?...thus as a permanent solution, I have placed Gryphon on top of the Auralex isolation platform, with an Artesania damper on top of the unit plus 20kg (44lbs) of brass weight on top of the Artesania to add mass. Done!

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Picking up my pair of amp bases for my 200's this week. Decided to go with a green granite that I hope won't weigh to much.... Dimensions are 24"L x 22"W and 4" thick.
Now I just have to decide if I want cones, pucks etc......especially with total weight.

Thanks again for replies

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing