What is your unrealised diy project about audio ?

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Is there something like a hidden audio skeleton at the back of your garage (or your mind)?
A great failure, or an outrageous plan that time and money constraints keep it from materializing?
Something that started rolling but was stuck at the details?

Starting from myself:"I have a dream" to build a monstrous speaker with double TL vented woofers,
an array of planar mids and an array of ribbon tweeters all housed in a single body.
This will be amplified (through active ANALOG crossover) by two big mono solid state amps for the woofers, two big tube amps for the mids and a stereo tube amp for the ribbon tweeters.
The last year i have made complete designs and have managed to buy the four 10" woofers
that i will use and a used three way RANE active crossover.Now, i want within this year to buy the
8 planar mids and the four ribbon tweeters.Plus half the amazon forest in timber...
How about you?

P.S.I already have the amps (the expensive part)!

Last edited:

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Steve,
i am tinkering away with speakers and crossovers from day one.I have made speakers for friends and me.
I have a pile of woodworking machinery and made friends with clients (i am a vet!) that own bigger woodworking facilities
and CNC machines (wood and metal!).I know how to look for stuff and have a "hands on" mechanical mind!
If i stumble upon a unsolved issue i ask friends who have the expertise to help me.
Sometime it's just a matter of asking the right questions to the right people and learn how to use the info!
Soon i will post pictures of my speaker , my turntable , my amps etc etc.The bad thing is that i rarely took pictures of what
i have made at past times.So most of the material will be of my latest efforts.
Please describe how can i upload images from my archives into my text!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you already have your pictures on some web site, get its address (copy and paste the link in the browser address line), then put it in your message with the tags and around it (or use the button for posting pictures in the Post window -- it is above the text message area. Hover your mouse over the icons and you see the pop up tool-tip telling you what each one does).

If you don't have your pictures on a web site, then you can upload them using the forum software. You have to use "Manage Attachments" that shows up at the bottom of your post window in the *Advanced* posting window. Select "Go Advanced" to see it. Once you upload them, then will see them available to select and mark to be inserted by clicking on "Insert Attachment." Not the most user friendly interface but it works :).

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Thanks Amir!I will try to do it today and see what photos i have in my home computer.Admin,isn't there a better (and shorter) route to do this?
Guys , i live in Greece so please remember the time difference! Sometimes my answers will take hours to appear!

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Lets see... These are some examples of my tweaks, Diy, and mods to my gear.Sorry about the quality!

Attachments

• turntable projec&#11.jpg
    turntable projec&#11.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 139
  • Sonic frontiers &#80.jpg
    Sonic frontiers &#80.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Tube amps 001..jpg
    Tube amps 001..jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 131
  • aragon 7..jpg
    aragon 7..jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Tube amps 002..jpg
    Tube amps 002..jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 137

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
The first is a photo of my in use turntable (a four year project),the second is a photo of my Sonic Frontiers Processor-3SE tube dac before i installed the 24/192 upgrade (probably the only one in the world!),third and fifth are two of my completely reworked SE-100s that use KT-90s (another first)
and pump out around 250 Watts on mono, and the fourth are my recently acquired Aragon Palladium 1K SS monos,that are now under inspection
(and mod consideration) and are going to replace my (also modded) Denon S10 monos in powering the bass.Gradually i am going to elaborate on the projects
post more recent photos (of better quality) and give details...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing