What does a "great room" mean?

Actually, David, I had forgotten about the original post I made here & the mention of an upgrade to DML technology, namely BMR (Balanced Mode Resonance)

It would seem that BMR is different to DML in that it is "a methodology for controlling modal bending wave activity enabling pistonic action and surface excitation to be combined in a single transducer or driver."
Tectonics seems to be the most active http://www.tectonicelements.com/bmr-speakers/ & cheap drivers available from Parts Express

A good DIY site found here

A good sounding video here [video]https://youtu.be/hPNla0uQWGk[/video]

Actually, David, I had forgotten about the original post I made here & the mention of an upgrade to DML technology, namely BMR (Balanced Mode Resonance)

It would seem that BMR is different to DML in that it is "a methodology for controlling modal bending wave activity enabling pistonic action and surface excitation to be combined in a single transducer or driver."
Tectonics seems to be the most active http://www.tectonicelements.com/bmr-speakers/ & cheap drivers available from Parts Express

A good DIY site found here

A good sounding video here [video]https://youtu.be/hPNla0uQWGk[/video]

Looks like Tectonic are using both technologies in very different applications, here's their DML site;

http://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com

Can't tell anything from that video, the sax sounds more like a kazoo than a horn to me.

david

Looks like Tectonic are using both technologies in very different applications, here's their DML site;

http://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com

Can't tell anything from that video, the sax sounds more like a kazoo than a horn to me.

david

Yea, you might be right - here's the non-speaker version

I don't think noise floor is the main problem with a system's lack of resolution, ime it's usually the choice of passive parts that degrades the signal, usually a warm distortion or some sort of harshness. Interconnect cables are often one of the biggest offenders...
Both you and stehno are talking about the same overall effect - that systems fail to deliver enough of the information in the recording in a sufficiently clean form. My term for this system degradation is low level distortion; whether one wishes to call it noise, noise modulation, or lack of resolution is neither here nor there. What's interesting is that a number of individuals, in their own ways, have discovered that this behaviour is occurring, and have used various techniques to combat the problem - I just looked up stehno's history of posts, and now understand the angle he's coming from; I'm aware of how he's achieving better sound by "solving" one of the normal weaknesses of systems, I use a different method, but end up getting to the same place - a higher competence of the playback mechanism.

Yea, you might be right - here's the non-speaker version

:D:D:D That's a Sax!

To be honest John I don't see either application for high end sound at least not for now but with the DML I love the idea of a sonic sticker. I have some juvenile things in mind for them from lining a car windshield or windows to pranking friends with talking mirrors and toilet seats in their house :p.

david

:D:D:D That's a Sax!

To be honest John I don't see either application for high end sound at least not for now but with the DML I love the idea of a sonic sticker. I have some juvenile things in mind for them from lining a car windshield or windows to pranking friends with talking mirrors and toilet seats in their house :p.

david

Haha, let's know how your juvenile pranks go - it isn't a bad idea :)

Just as I'm sure you get what I said. I thought your attempt to correlate Rubber meeting the road with Music bouncing off walls was poor at best but was unable to offer a sufficient response. So I let it go.

Of course no two Formula 1 or Top Fuel drag teams are identical doing the exact same as each has room to add their own twist, fine-tune, etc. That should go unsaid. Just answer me this. Are F1 teams (and Top Fuel teams) more alike with other F1 teams (and Top Fuel teams) and shooting at the same target or are they more different than alike? And how about the cars themselves, are they more alike in design and parts or different?

Yes, I do keep on using the noise floor term. You can see what a noise floor does visually with a blurred photograph and anything below that visual noise floor you're not seeing, but only that which remains above the visual noise floor.

Same with an audio noise floor. Just as with the visual noise floor, ultimately it and it alone determines what percentage of music info remains audible above it and inaudible below it. Every new distortion / noise will raise it and every time a distortion / or noise is lessened, the noise floor lowers. When lower, more music info embedded in the recording becomes audible. When raised, more music info becomes inaudible. Moreover, the percentage of music info that remains audible (or inaudible) also determines the level of fidelity of that audible music info.

Surely you know that every last component, cable, and connection simply raises the noise floor and it ain't little. And component price matters not because the most severe distortions are universal.

If you understood the origins of several of the most significant distortions that severely cripple our sensitive instruments' (regardless of price) precision and accuracy (that are far more severe than perhaps all other distortions combined,) and how they can be remedied or absolutely minimized and thus allow most any component to perform at such levels of musicality even the component manufacturers couldn't believe, you never would have made such statements.

Higher Price doesn't equate higher performance.

Since you seem to understand the origins of most of those specific distortions, please educate the rest of us: What are these distortions and how do you minimize them?

.. I will not even ask you how to measure these , since they seem to belong in the existing-but-non-measurable variety.

Higher Price doesn't equate higher performance.

Since you seem to understand the origins of most of those specific distortions, please educate the rest of us: What are these distortions and how do you minimize them?

.. I will not even ask you how to measure these , since they seem to belong in the existing-but-non-measurable variety.

Ok. The sources of the two greatest distortions in any playback system are electrical and mechanical (vibrational) energy and one is multiple times more impacting than the other. How do I minimize these most severe distortions? By employing the most extreme measures I can reasonably conceive. In fact, roughly 65% of the entire cost of my system is dedicated to just managing these two energies.

Now, how about answering the questions I posed to you?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing