What brands/ combinations of analog gear produce the best, most lifelike decay?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does realistic decay correlate with more $$,$$$ spent across all brands?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My favorite decay award goes to Dynavector XV-1t on a TW table and arm

Reactions: tima and XV-1

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
A total system issue...

Reactions: bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I prefer natural as opposed to attention drawing. But I admit attention drawing is more appealing than unnatural vanishing.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Decay is more a function of noise and room. Early reflections in a large room and late reflections in a small room will mask decay. Small room late reflections should be diffused, preventing multiple reflections, while large room early reflections need to be absorbed.
Noise is the other enemy of decay.....as you reduce the sources of noise, primarily conducted and radiated EMI and RFI and resolve the reflections you’ll notice an increase in both purity and length of decay and an increase in recording venue acoustics.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Decay is more a function of noise and room. Early reflections in a large room and late reflections in a small room will mask decay. Small room late reflections should be diffused, preventing multiple reflections, while large room early reflections need to be absorbed.
Noise is the other enemy of decay.....as you reduce the sources of noise, primarily conducted and radiated EMI and RFI and resolve the reflections you’ll notice an increase in both purity and length of decay and an increase in recording venue acoustics.

Thanks. I completely agree on the room. Great bang for the buck improvements, if feasible in one's living situation.

But as we invest more $$,$$$ into components, we also get that "reduced noise" and more musical information, including a fuller acoustic with realistic decay of notes.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Jack. You are an expert's expert. Not trying to put you on the spot, but why that combination?

I wouldn't go that far Caesar!

There's just that synergy. I can only guess. The cart itself, a refinement of the XV-1s added richness to the aformentioned carts already great ability to dig out decay trails. My AC-3 likes to hold on to notes too. likes to do it a lot. It's probably the combination of medium torque, the copper platter and the oil bearing. Thee alnico magnets in the 1t, too. I regret selling the arm but kept the table for future use. My only complaint was excessive groove noise with some 45 rpm records. Not so much a problem with 33.3s.

In any case, the combo is very sweet and so is the bloom. Lovely, lovely with massed strings.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
most life-like decay that jumps into my mind is 1/2", 15ips tape played on the Studer A-820 into my King Cello, and a component of that are the Tana TS active platforms under my darTZeel preamp and dart 468 mono blocks, along with extreme room treatments allowing for optimal detail and ambient information retrieval.

there are a few tapes that really stand out in this area.

Reactions: caesar and CKKeung

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I heard extremely good decay and space from the CS Port / Etsuro cart earlier this week. Very noticeably Uber reference class.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Krell 300il and Kef R105/3. vintage hifi. Revel salon1 and hegel h360(slightly less vintage) dsp8000se. only 5 years since new.

Reactions: caesar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing