Wall Street Journal: What Start Ups Can Learn From Audiophiles

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It is funny that how such an interesting article can have such sad, even discouraging interpretations and followups by audiophiles in an audiophile forum.

For me, the main idea of the article is about economics, and explaining that in every product the manufacturer should settle a price zone, and then add features to become competitive and show it clearly in the marketing message.

IMHO, the "negative" aspects being now presented in this thread are the statistical exceptions in the high-end game. Card boxes, crates, jewel like boxes? These are peanuts in our debates. But yes, sometimes I really appreciate peanuts!

I love peanuts! My tubes arrived safe and sound because of them!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agree. How much should we charge? "As much as we can." If the market still pays, then that is the market price.

I will re-write. How much can we charge for Y? X. So we can afford to put features and quality in this Y product until it is still profitable if it is sold by X.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We have all seen it before...in every industry. Every once in a while, someone manages to sell something at a price so far in excess of any perceived cost, benefit, value...it seems to defy the industry, and all odds. but somehow it does. Unfortunately, in those cases, the market has spoken...the market has said that is the price of that product.

Now the market may have second thoughts...and re-sales of that same object may drop thru the floor..okay, that is the market speaking again. But in the first case above, if the market is paying the price...that is the market value [at that time].

That is why i focus on: what i like...after all...if i like it...that is truly all that matters...Same imho for anyone else in this great hobby of ours. Nevertheless, I admit to having been fortunate to come across products that at least for the last 10-20 years seemed to have demonstrated stabilized values the market has continued to support in value.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
We have all seen it before...in every industry. Every once in a while, someone manages to sell something at a price so far in excess of any perceived cost, benefit, value...it seems to defy the industry, and all odds. but somehow it does. Unfortunately, in those cases, the market has spoken...the market has said that is the price of that product.

Now the market may have second thoughts...and re-sales of that same object may drop thru the floor..okay, that is the market speaking again. But in the first case above, if the market is paying the price...that is the market value [at that time].

That is why i focus on: what i like...after all...if i like it...that is truly all that matters...Same imho for anyone else in this great hobby of ours. Nevertheless, I admit to having been fortunate to come across products that at least for the last 10-20 years seemed to have demonstrated stabilized values the market has continued to support in value.

As I said earlier in the thread, a good test for a product that is priced fairly and has universally acknowledged value/performance is if a product has withstood
the test of time.

My Thiel CS2.4 has been in continuous production for TEN years. My Bryston DAC has been in continuous production for FIVE years.

My Harbeth Compact 7ES3...continuous production for FIVE years. I could go on..

I find it very ironic that some of the most expensive components and speakers around are phased in and out very quickly.

How long did the Magico M5 hang around? Its almost like they want to get these products on the market
then move on to the next thing before any one has any time to figure out what is going on.

Of course there are exceptions.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Yes, good point. The market price is the summation of all the "what I likes" based on the information that is available to all at that particular time.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, I think LLoyd get's my point perfectly. Do you somehow disagree with this statement?

Yes, I agree with the point that people want to charge as much as they can. The statement is true in a theoretical sense. Whether you are growing medicinal marijuana in Northern California, coffee in Columbia, or manufacturing electronics in Asia, we all want to charge as much as we can. But some markets are much more dynamic in their ability to respond to demand than others, and adjust the price accordingly . If you ask $10K for a product but you hear a competitive product for $8K that is better on most criteria, and your dealer is in tune with the market, he can adjust the price accordingly.

But the reality is that in our hobby is that the manufacturer has deemed that a product is worth a certain price. Yes, you can get a discount from the dealer, but the product price is still usually not based on value, unless regular guys and the reviewers closely compare it and contrast it against the competitor crop and that information gets out in the audio universe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing