VTL MB-450 series one Question about KT-120 tubes

Groovy

Mar 13, 2015
I just got this pair of beautiful amps and am wondering if it's safe to run the nice Jung-sol KT-120 tubes that the lady I got the amps from changed the 6550c's to?
Bea at VTL told me that they don't recommend them.
I don't want to mess up these amps, is it safe to run the KT-120's?
Thanks

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just got this pair of beautiful amps and am wondering if it's safe to run the nice Jung-sol KT-120 tubes that the lady I got the amps from changed the 6550c's to?
Bea at VTL told me that they don't recommend them.
I don't want to mess up these amps, is it safe to run the KT-120's?
Thanks

First off welcome to WBF

I would take heed of what Bea said as she is Luke's wife

Groovy

Mar 13, 2015
Yes that would make sense, but......

First off welcome to WBF

I would take heed of what Bea said as she is Luke's wife

I know you would think so, but I have talked with some folks that have been running them in their same model amps with no issue and better fidelity. Also they have dealt with VTL for many years and are not supprised that they have that opinion, as let's face it great amps but flexibility & creativity where customer service is concerned, not a strength for them, they are concrete at times for sure. But I appreciate your feedback and would go with it if not had heard back from a respected pro, elsewhere in the world. If I get a chance I will share all of what he said.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know you would think so, but I have talked with some folks that have been running them in their same model amps with no issue and better fidelity. Also they have dealt with VTL for many years and are not supprised that they have that opinion, as let's face it great amps but flexibility & creativity where customer service is concerned, not a strength for them, they are concrete at times for sure. But I appreciate your feedback and would go with it if not had heard back from a respected pro, elsewhere in the world. If I get a chance I will share all of what he said.

I have no first hand knowledge except to say that I know Bea and Luke

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing