Vivid Giya G3

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes, but unlike the S5, the Giya G2 THD is raising. I rather hear less of a tweeter then more of its THD :cool:

Both speakers have low THD. All speakers have higher THD as SPL goes up. The Magico does too. The S5 has slightly lower THD. However, THD may be one of the least important measurements soundstage has NRC take. Lateral off axis is really THE measurement which most closely relates to stereo image and musical enjoyment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Both speakers have low THD. All speakers have higher THD as SPL goes up. The Magico does too. The S5 has slightly lower THD. However, THD may be one of the least important measurements soundstage has NRC take. Lateral off axis is really THE measurement which most closely relates to stereo image and musical enjoyment.

It is why most of us take all measurements with many grains of salt. If the "best measurement" only suits the preference of a few of us, something must be missing from them. Anyway it is good to know that in your case measurements did their job. BTW, did you select the speaker because of the measurements or did you listen to it extensively before reading them?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
As far as lateral off axis, that's not a personal preference. There's significant research which proves its importance.

I based my decision on both listening and measurements.

Oh, I think I know what you want to know. You think measurements have a placebo effect on the listener? I loved the vivid Giya the first time I heard it at RMAF about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time, I had no idea what a loudspeaker measurement was.

[/I]

It is why most of us take all measurements with many grains of salt. If the "best measurement" only suits the preference of a few of us, something must be missing from them. Anyway it is good to know that in your case measurements did their job. BTW, did you select the speaker because of the measurements or did you listen to it extensively before reading them?

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As far as lateral off axis, that's not a personal preference. There's significant research which proves its importance.

Are MBLs and other omni speakers known to have good lateral off axis measurements?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I based my decision on both listening and measurements.

Oh, I think I know what you want to know. You think measurements have a placebo effect on the listener? I loved the vivid Giya the first time I heard it at RMAF about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time, I had no idea what a loudspeaker measurement was.

This is your thread, I will not question here your deep beliefs.

I have always been very skeptical about first love at shows, most of the time you are listening mostly to the whole equipment being exhibited, quality of setup and unknown room. And yes, IMHO dogmatic use of measurements can induce placebo effect on par with reviews, our previous experience and our wishes. We also have to deal with it.

For me measurements are particularly useful to diagnose setup and system optimization.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are MBLs and other omni speakers known to have good lateral off axis measurements?
What is important here is not any and all off-axis energy. For example, you don't sit behind your loudspeaker so what comes out of there has far less importance than say, +-15 degree of the axis of the loudspeaker. Turns out what correlates highly with our preferences is a weighted sum of the different degrees of radiation. No single measurement or sum of all of them will do this.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fortunately the research into loudspeakers shows the opposite. But carry on.

I was addressing just the WBF usual contributors population ... ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Totally agree.

So you don't accept my listening impressions AND the measurements. I guess there's no pleasing you! Next? :D

I am very interested in the Giya's debates - I appreciated a lot the fabulous Nautilus. I care about your opinions, but I like to know how I should weight them - it is how I learn from audio foruns.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
did you come across a speaker that measured better than the giya but you found to be less enjoyable to listen too?

Which measurement? For example, the Quad doesn't measure as well off axis but has other qualities that really attract me to that speaker. The Quad has an immediacy that is startling at first. I believe some of that can be measured by the unbelievable step response. Overall, I would say the Quad's flaws make it not very practical for me.

I have heard Magico speakers a few times. They measure very well on axis, but I've never really liked the sound. However, their measurements off axis might explain why I don't like them very much. I haven't heard one in a few years, so maybe the newest models are much better.

For me, the Vivid Giya G3 are the closest thing I've heard which is able to combine something like the immediacy/transparency of a Quad but with mega big dynamics.

I think it's fair to say that the KEF Blade measures almost as well as the vivid off axis and on axis. I do like the Blade II. One of the issues I have with that speaker is the bass. When I heard it, it seemed like I could hear the tuning port. I thought the bass was very sloppy. It was kind of a disappointment for me, because I like the overall design and the rest of the sound too.

I think the ultimate speaker shootout for me would be something like the JBL M2 vs Vivid. They are different designs. The M2 measures as well or better off axis. My only hesitation with the M2 is the looks and the ecosystem isn't my style.

I never said measurements are the final arbiter for a loudspeaker. I certainly think there's still much to be learned about loudspeaker measurements. For my money, I would only buy a loudspeaker who's designer obviously has a great respect for the significant work which has already been done testing loudspeakers with measurements and listener preferences.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

Here are some recent measurements from the NRC lab done on some highly touted and very high dollar omnis.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

These measurements look pretty bad, but it may be the case that an anechoic chamber is not necessarily the best place to measure an omni speaker like this since the whole idea behind the omni is total power response. I believe there are ways to infer or project what the power response might be "in room" but I'm not sure how accurate those projections would be.

I've always found omnis to sound fake to me. The soundstage sounds very artificial. Some folks like that big omni sound though. But it's not for me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Which measurement? For example, the Quad doesn't measure as well off axis but has other qualities that really attract me to that speaker. (...)

It is curious you consider so as many people refer that the Quad ESL63 and derivate have excellent polar measurements. They were considered a real achievement, that was modeled mathematically to a defined target by Peter Walker. He used segmented circular sections of the stators and delays lines to achieve a particular model of dispersion versus frequency.

Surely they do not play loud and all types of music - but this is a different matter.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 421
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 435

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It depends on what you consider good lateral off axis measurements. A perfect omni is supposed to show a set of regular superimposed set of equal curves, something that does not fit typical speaker models. The shape of this unique curve must complement the room acoustics - it is why they are not easy to setup and do not fit all rooms. Perhaps also why the usual extreme love or extreme hate reaction ...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've always found omnis to sound fake to me. The soundstage sounds very artificial. Some folks like that big omni sound though. But it's not for me.

+1. I find them artificial as well - at first you're like "wow!" and then after some listening you realize it isn't right.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
+1. I find them artificial as well - at first you're like "wow!" and then after some listening you realize it isn't right.

the other thing I typically find with Omni's is that it's difficult to get the SPL's to the right level for extended listening comfort.

either it's too loud to allow the soundstage to come alive, or too tame for comfort and not involving. which causes me to get fatigued since they are played too loud most times I've heard them.

maybe amps get stressed and 1st watt magic gets missed. 50th watt magic will never equal 1st watt magic.

maybe were I to spend extended time in an Omni based mature system that was involving at modest SPL's my viewpoint might change.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) maybe were I too spend extended time in an Omni based mature system that was involving at modest SPL's my viewpoint might change.

My main complain of my first generation of MBL 101 speakers - they needed to be played loud. No experience with the current models.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
Which measurement? For example, the Quad doesn't measure as well off axis but has other qualities that really attract me to that speaker. The Quad has an immediacy that is startling at first. I believe some of that can be measured by the unbelievable step response. Overall, I would say the Quad's flaws make it not very practical for me.

I have heard Magico speakers a few times. They measure very well on axis, but I've never really liked the sound. However, their measurements off axis might explain why I don't like them very much. I haven't heard one in a few years, so maybe the newest models are much better.

For me, the Vivid Giya G3 are the closest thing I've heard which is able to combine something like the immediacy/transparency of a Quad but with mega big dynamics.

I think it's fair to say that the KEF Blade measures almost as well as the vivid off axis and on axis. I do like the Blade II. One of the issues I have with that speaker is the bass. When I heard it, it seemed like I could hear the tuning port. I thought the bass was very sloppy. It was kind of a disappointment for me, because I like the overall design and the rest of the sound too.

I think the ultimate speaker shootout for me would be something like the JBL M2 vs Vivid. They are different designs. The M2 measures as well or better off axis. My only hesitation with the M2 is the looks and the ecosystem isn't my style.

I never said measurements are the final arbiter for a loudspeaker. I certainly think there's still much to be learned about loudspeaker measurements. For my money, I would only buy a loudspeaker who's designer obviously has a great respect for the significant work which has already been done testing loudspeakers with measurements and listener preferences.

I am curious if you have ever listened to Earl Geddes speakers? Not sure if he has shown at hifi shows recently. His off axis measurements are very good, unfortunately I dislike the way the speakers look :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing