Visit to Henk van der Hoeven -- Apogee Acoustics Re-builder/Restorer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The best solid state sound I have ever listened to used the Constellation Audio Hercules II monoblocks / Altair II. I can imagine it would be a great match for ribbons ...
The Constellations sounded good on Magico Q3s. Also heard them on Neoliths.

Have heard the Altairs only in Munich. Not my choice. The only rockport I have relatively liked is the Grand Mira II, which is a very different design. Tall, slim, like a line source, but a Dapollito, MTM design, with front and side firing woofers. No rear-firers. It's quicker and more immersive than the others. Think a bit light on bass, but nothing that can't be fixed by a sub.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
www.ultisone.com
Possible, but you are focusing on one of the parts of one of the examples. Being in those different rooms, I am quite sure the only that made a difference to me was the TT.
Hi Ked,

Just an update on my system, i now have the Aries Cerat Impera II preamp and the upgraded server from Totaldac, it is a whole different world now... One wonders how I managed to like omitting such preamp and server upgrade.:(

Always welcome. If any use, I am exhibiting with that same system, along with a world premiere new chassis for the Aries Concero 65 amplifier, at the Brussels hi end show on October 15 and 16 (check www.nmhighendinnovation.com).

Best,
Michel

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Ked,

Just an update on my system, i now have the Aries Cerat Impera II preamp and the upgraded server from Totaldac, it is a whole different world now... One wonders how I managed to like omitting such preamp and server upgrade.:(

Always welcome. If any use, I am exhibiting with that same system, along with a world premiere new chassis for the Aries Concero 65 amplifier, at the Brussels hi end show on October 15 and 16 (check www.nmhighendinnovation.com).

Best,
Michel
(Sorry to hi-jack the thread momentarily...)

Michel,

Would you mind describing the system you'll be showing in a little more detail, if possible?

Hopefully I'll be able to make it across the border for the show.

Cheers!

853guy

Ron Resnick

Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . The only rockport I have relatively liked is the Grand Mira II, which is a very different design. Tall, slim, like a line source, but a Dapollito, MTM design, with front and side firing woofers. . . .
I cannot imagine you not liking the Arrakis, with its height and M-T-M configuration (but, then again, you are a little difficult to predict. : )

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I cannot imagine you not liking the Arrakis, with its height and M-T-M configuration (but, then again, you are a little difficult to predict. : )
Am not really. It's always been panels and horns, and I have always been trying to get past the dynamics and bass issues of panels, a problem that got sorted with some of the apogees (without giving up the panel midrange). Horns were a big source of frustration as there was no medium term compromise (it was all out in a big room with high cost or a parody)

The Grand Mira II was a good compromise for a mid-term speaker, which I could have sold off easily in the used market. But these cones to me will never have the mids of a panel or the dynamics and bass of an apogee or a bass horn, or that realism, and both a restored duetta and the hORNS Universum have taken care of the mid-term issue, though the latter has a poorer resale value in the used market due to lack of awareness.

Mar 10, 2014
UK
Hi Ked,

Best,
Michel
Nice! My upgraded d1 server hopefully arrives today... :)

Guillaume

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Am not really. It's always been panels and horns, and I have always been trying to get past the dynamics and bass issues of panels, a problem that got sorted with some of the apogees (without giving up the panel midrange). Horns were a big source of frustration as there was no medium term compromise (it was all out in a big room with high cost or a parody)

The Grand Mira II was a good compromise for a mid-term speaker, which I could have sold off easily in the used market. But these cones to me will never have the mids of a panel or the dynamics and bass of an apogee or a bass horn, or that realism, and both a restored duetta and the hORNS Universum have taken care of the mid-term issue, though the latter has a poorer resale value in the used market due to lack of awareness.
So, do you own Universums now? What are your main speakers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, do you own Universums now? What are your main speakers?
No. I sold my Veritys. I am waiting to buy another place, and then speakers. No rush. Prices are down 10% since Brexit, but no saying if they will go down further or back up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The speakerless audiophile LOL.

Just buy some small high quality monitors I reckon, til the time comes.
No thanks. I don't want to buy any speakers. I don't listen to music much at home anyway. 2 - 4 hrs a week tops. I am going to collect small ancillaries to building up, until I finally add the speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Apogee Divas which were once owned and tuned by Dan Agostino are up for sale in Connecticut. They have old stuff.

I also read an interesting comment from Gallant Diva on the Apogee forum

"What he did was, and he showed my the pictures, to use two Fullrange woofers, with the MR/T panel sandwiched in between, for each side. That would make each speaker very wide. Naturally, his room was very big, roughly 40 by 30. He drove both woofers in parallel using a Krell KBX, and all Krell Reference amplifiers. He claims that Dan D'Agostino of Krell visited his room and said that was the best sound he had ever heard -- but then he would say so.
I am just thinking that may be the best sub for Apogees is to use a ribbon panel itself. I am thinking of using the woofers of my second FRs to be add-on subs. I know folks have tried crossing the ribbon panels by taking the bass out of them to gain MR enrichment. But I normally go to the opposite side . Has anyone tried Apogee woofers as subwoofers?