Used Record Surprise Gems

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I started a thread on disapointing record purchases. But I didn't give up there. I took one of the records back and exchanged it. Got a decent enough copy.

Well, I went back to the store today and asked about all the 45s. The guy said they were nothing special, but 12 inch singles could be very good. He then dug out a bunch of single in 45 and 33. I bought a Blondie Heart of glass 33, Rolling Stones To The Body 45 and Thriller in 33. All are excellent recordings and play well. All were under $10.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I started a thread on disapointing record purchases. But I didn't give up there. I took one of the records back and exchanged it. Got a decent enough copy.

Well, I went back to the store today and asked about all the 45s. The guy said they were nothing special, but 12 inch singles could be very good. He then dug out a bunch of single in 45 and 33. I bought a Blondie Heart of glass 33, Rolling Stones To The Body 45 and Thriller in 33. All are excellent recordings and play well. All were under $10.
I was reading your disappointing record thread, this seems to be the place to add a positive note.

I have been accumulating records since the late 60's. As I have always taken good care of them the vast majority sound as good as they were when they were new. So I know that older vinyl can sound great!

Like many I have been disappointed by the quality of more new and reissued pressings than I would like. While I still purchase some new I have recently been buying used records online from Luke's Records in Toronto. Lukesrecords.com I have been extremely pleased!

Now I have purchased the odd used record over the years. At most places its hit and miss at the very best. I believe Luke's Records or a business like it is what we should be looking for. So what do I like about what he is offering?

Luke offers mostly British and European records, some of which are first pressings! Not all recordings are created equal and I find that a well preserved first pressing usually sounds better than subsequent reissues. Records from different countries do tend to sound different from my Canadian copies and I am often quite pleased with how good these foreign copies can sound.

He is light as far as jazz and classical but I found a few gems. Definitely worth your time to look. If you are a child of the 60's and 70's this is the place to be.

Luke cleans them with a Degritter Mk2 and places them in a new sleeve after visually inspecting them for obvious flaws and play grading them. He then indicates the label, place of pressing, year of pressing, record code information, condition of the cover etc. and even offers a short description of the record.

His website is easy to use and I have found when I have contacted him with a question he is quick to respond. He packs the records properly and extremely well and he ships quickly. In Canada he covers the shipping if you spend $200 CAD. I am not sure of cross border or international transactions.

Last but not least his prices are reasonable given the effort he goes through and the quality of record you will receive. For example a good record can be as little as $15 , a near mint second pressing $25-$60 and a first pressing from a popular artist can be $100 +.

Best of all nearly all of the recordings I have purchased from him have sounded wonderful.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Check these out. I don't know some of these ever went public. They came from a guy who worked for a label. I have to look into them. The Led Zeppelin box set of no labels were made in Switzerland. The Dead have labels.

Attachments

• 20231127_111236.jpg
    20231127_111236.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231127_111610.jpg
    20231127_111610.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 7

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Also got these Robert Plant/Led Zepplin Special for broadcast 1982

Attachments

• 20231127_112144.jpg
    20231127_112144.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 2

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have a bunch of cleaning to do. Pretty excited to give them a spin.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Check these out. I don't know some of these ever went public. They came from a guy who worked for a label. I have to look into them. The Led Zeppelin box set of no labels were made in Switzerland. The Dead have labels.
The LZ records are all live Bootleg recordings, the Destroyer set is a famous show from Cleveland 1977 from a sound board recording but don't expect hi fidelity sound reproduction, the other LZ albums from memory are audience recordings transferred to vinyl

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I was reading your disappointing record thread, this seems to be the place to add a positive note.

I have been accumulating records since the late 60's. As I have always taken good care of them the vast majority sound as good as they were when they were new. So I know that older vinyl can sound great!

Like many I have been disappointed by the quality of more new and reissued pressings than I would like. While I still purchase some new I have recently been buying used records online from Luke's Records in Toronto. Lukesrecords.com I have been extremely pleased!

Now I have purchased the odd used record over the years. At most places its hit and miss at the very best. I believe Luke's Records or a business like it is what we should be looking for. So what do I like about what he is offering?

Luke offers mostly British and European records, some of which are first pressings! Not all recordings are created equal and I find that a well preserved first pressing usually sounds better than subsequent reissues. Records from different countries do tend to sound different from my Canadian copies and I am often quite pleased with how good these foreign copies can sound.

He is light as far as jazz and classical but I found a few gems. Definitely worth your time to look. If you are a child of the 60's and 70's this is the place to be.

Luke cleans them with a Degritter Mk2 and places them in a new sleeve after visually inspecting them for obvious flaws and play grading them. He then indicates the label, place of pressing, year of pressing, record code information, condition of the cover etc. and even offers a short description of the record.

His website is easy to use and I have found when I have contacted him with a question he is quick to respond. He packs the records properly and extremely well and he ships quickly. In Canada he covers the shipping if you spend $200 CAD. I am not sure of cross border or international transactions.

Last but not least his prices are reasonable given the effort he goes through and the quality of record you will receive. For example a good record can be as little as $15 , a near mint second pressing $25-$60 and a first pressing from a popular artist can be $100 +.

Best of all nearly all of the recordings I have purchased from him have sounded wonderful.
Another vote for Luke! I’d been buying vinyl from him at record shows prior to him setting up his excellent website. I’ve never dealt with a dealer as fastidious as Luke. He cleans and play grades everything he sells, with a focus on NM pressings. He has cultivated a small but loyal customer base that appreciates quality and likes British pressings (he’s English but lives in Toronto.) He’s also an accomplished musician who’s active in the local scene, promoting and playing small venue gigs.

Reactions: AudioHR

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The LZ records are all live Bootleg recordings, the Destroyer set is a famous show from Cleveland 1977 from a sound board recording but don't expect hi fidelity sound reproduction,
Not everything I listen too has to be high fidelity. I have some other live bootleg albums and hearing the musicians in the mood and playing their hearts out is just fantastic.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
What is an Audience recording?
Hand held tape recorder by a member of the audience, there’s some great LZ audience recordings check out the LA Forum from 21st June 1977 called listen to this Eddie recorded by Mike Millard

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Not everything I listen too has to be high fidelity. I have some other live bootleg albums and hearing the musicians in the mood and playing their hearts out is just fantastic.
Good to hear mate I like bootlegs too and at one point had every LZ live bootleg that was on the market, I no longer collect them but from time to time still give them a play

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing