Urology group stops recommending routine PSA test

jprice

Apr 13, 2012
In the heart of Dixie
Two years ago, my annual PSA test revealed an elevated PSA. My urologist recommended a template biopsy. The biopsy indicated the presence of prostate cancer. I was treated with radiation (TOMO) followed by radioactive seed implant.

All well now (I hope) and this outcome would not have happened without PSA test. Am I cured? Probably 98% chance that I am.

15 years ago, my dad died a very painful death from bone mets following radical prostatectomy - probably performed "too late", which, perhaps would not have happened if his cancer had been identified earlier with routine PSA testing.

Do I think routine PSA testing is beneficial? Absolutely!!!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Didn't we have almost this same discussion a year or two ago? ;)

PSA has never been a good screening test, we men must continue to hope something better comes along while we are still around to benefit from it. While testimonials like the above are interesting, they ignore the fact that a significant number (5-10%) of prostate cancers won't be detected by PSA screening.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No new data, though, just a re-evaluation with a little more common sense.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I went through the same issues in my specialty with respect to the frequency with which Pap smears should be done and how to evaluate abnormal smears

At least with PAP smears there is good data demonstrating that screening and subsequent intervention significantly decreases mortality and morbidity of cervical (and now possibly endometrial) carcinoma.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At least with PAP smears there is good data demonstrating the screening and subsequent intervention significantly decreases mortality and morbidity of cervical (and now possibly endometrial) carcinoma.

Agreed

It was a big deal teaching docs that it was OK to do them every 2 years after a few normal smears

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing