URGENT- need help with Meitner XDS1 V2 failure

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I was playing at a loud but not unreasonably loud level and all of sudden, the Meitner dropped dead. Naturally I looked for the fuse. I suspect that some combination of a) the player is not sold in Radio Shack b) it's priced ridiculously high, even for a "hi-end" product and c) I have enough education, degrees and publications to sink a ship- all must account for the fact that I can't find the damned fuse even after looking at the on-line manual. The manual shows that the AC receptacle (male IEC connector) is the "fuse holder". But when I remove the AC Power cord, all I see is 3 prongs and some blue blob at the very top back of the receptacle between the top 2 prongs but I can't figure out what the hell to do with it. Do I push it? Do i pull it? Do I say some sort of incantation to the fuse to magically make it appear?

I've been enjoying this hobby for several decades and have overcome many a difficult problem but I have never felt dumber for owning SOA gear than I do right now. Oh, and I can't wait to learn that when I do find the damn fuse, its probably some esoteric thing that can't be found at Radio Shack and which I'll have to order from Meitner at some exhorbitant cost.

Seriously, any help would be appreciated.
Marty

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like the power supply is sealed Marty. Unless the fuse receptacle is in the bottom of the unit (which I highly doubt) it looks like you'll either have to open up the SMPS casing or have a dealer do it for you. I realize in your time zone offices must be closed by now. DO you want me to try and contact the local dealer here to confirm? It's only 1:30pm, although a Saturday and with a BIG storm coming, there's a chance I'll get an answer for you.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
We all have our moments. Do you see a little opening in the AC receptacle above the three prongs that a small flat head screwdriver would fit in? Look carefully. If you find it, just put the screwdriver in there and gently turn it until the cover opens. It should expose the fuses.

If you have further problems, just give me a call.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Jack and Jonathan,
Thank you for responding so promptly to my post. Here is a pic of the AC connector/putative fuse holder. I have no idea what that blue thing is between the top prongs but whatever it is, it doesn't look like something that can be removed. I'm reluctant to push it in for obvious reasons. That may mean the fuse is internal. IF so, here a pic of the bottom panel. Do either of you have a clue as to which screws I should remove to open the unit?
I just love hi end gear,
Marty
IMG_2210.jpg IMG_2216.JPG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Definitely no visible fuses on the IEC connector or anywhere on the back of the unit that I can see from online pictures. The power supply is switchmode and fully encapsulated:

If there is a fuse it would be inside that long box. Be very careful please. You have 340 volt DC voltage hanging around there potentially. It could be quite lethal.

And yes, the fuse may be a surface mount device that while easily sourced, won't be easy to find and replace.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks Amir,
Any idea what that blue thing is between the AC prongs?
From what you are showing me, I'm not in love with the Meitner folks, at least not today. I hope I can get this thing serviced by someone closer to me rather than send it back to EMMlabs.
Marty

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know Marty. The fused IEC connectors that are fused have a fuse symbol on them.

And yes, it is an odd design. The unit only needs 50 watts yet they used a switchmode power supply? Why? Why not a simple, clean linear power supply?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Quick follow-up. I finally managed to open up the XDS1-rev2 with the phone help of EMM labs on Monday morning. (The XDS1 case is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma). I found the fuse and replaced it, turned it on, and it blew again immediately. The unit is on its way back to Canada for repair as well speak. Something ain't right. We shall see.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Quick follow-up. I finally managed to open up the XDS1-rev2 with the phone help of EMM labs on Monday morning. (The XDS1 case is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma). I found the fuse and replaced it, turned it on, and it blew again immediately. The unit is on its way back to Canada for repair as well speak. Something ain't right. We shall see.....

sorry to hear...i had something similar with my Velodyne...2 new fuses actually shattered into tiny pieces which is quite unusual apparently. Something with power supply and back good as new in a week.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The fact that it turned on before blowing the fuse it means that the power supply is fine but something else is shorted out causing over-current.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing