Turntable: rack? wall mount? Your recommendations, please!

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I own a Basis Good standard turntable with AirTangent 10b arm, now boxed.
In maybe 12 months I will have it playing music, again.

Newly built hose, parquet floor glued on zement with heating inside, on styrofoam.
Better to use a wall mount?
If diy wall mount, what material as top platform?
Acryl like the tt? Maybe wood?

Get a renowned rack like Artesiana?

Thx for your advice!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Having suspended floors upstairs where my system is located, my avid acutus reference is mounted on the quadraspire SVT wall shelf. No footfall issues and isolates excellently.

Reactions: engadin

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I think you could choose either based on the floor you’ve described. I have used both at different times over many decades.

The only times I’ve been dissatisfied with a wall mount have been in rooms with flimsy 2x4 studs. Such walls tend to vibrate.

The only times I’ve been dissatisfied with a floor mount have been when I’ve put the TT on the top of an equipment rack that was not perfectly rigid.

My present set up is on a concrete floor with LVP over foam underlayment. I am using a heavy, low console and it is like an extension of the concrete floor. Very stable.

In this set up that console is wide enough to support two LP12s and a Ref Phono 3. The LP12s connect to the Ref Phono 3 via their tonearm rca cables. The Ref Phono 3 connects to the Ref 6SE by a pair of 25’ long balanced Transparent Reference series interconnects that were tuned by Transparent for this specific arrangement.

By putting the TTs far from the speakers , I’ve further reduced room acoustic affects at the TTs compared to when the TTs were near the front wall. Of course YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: engadin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing