Tube vs. Solid State Rectifier for Lampizator DAC

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
Hello,

I would like to read some comments on:

Tube vs. Solid State Rectifier for Lampizator DACs.

Thank you very much in advance.

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
All Lampi DACs are tube rectified and form what I recall, only some of the first generation Atlantics were ever solid state rectified.
So, the only way to determine how a Lampi DAC is to sound with a solid state rectifier in place would be through using something like this:
or this:
The above are commonly used in guitar amps, since the phenomenon of rectifier sag (which they try to "cure") is more evident in these types of tube amps rather than audio tube amps, let alone tube preamps or tubed DAC output stages.
Despite the proliferation of solid state rectifiers and solid state rectifier modules (like the above) it is not at all uncommon for tube rectifiers to still be found in modern guitar amps for their special sound properties (they create more of an "ebb and flow" type of sound) by attempting instead to accentuate that phenomenon and make use of its specific application towards achieving distinct compression characteristics in the output stage when the amp is driven hard into overdrive.
However, this is a far cry from Lampi's application of tube rectification as the 5V (5U4's and the like) and 6V (6X5 in the case of the Amber) rectifiers used in Lampis are highly unlikely to ever cause any type of sag (or even more unlikely, overdrive) with the voltages and design objectives typically found within these DACs.
It never hurts to try of course but please, read the note from the first page cited above carefully and consult Lampi before giving any of these a try : Note: Please be advised that this replacement will increase overall B+ (plate voltage) by 10-20%. If your filter caps are older than 20-25 years, we suggest you replace them before installing this solid state rectifier.

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
Thank you for the respond,. What about the Space Tech Laboratory STR-104-Mk2-Super rectifier for the Lampi?

Thank you.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
I don't remember if I tried just the SS rectifier of the STR-1002. I did try hybrid SS and tube. Pure tube was my preference. I didn't pay much attention either way, I was just checking that everything was working. Might have had it SS for one or two songs.

I have tried a few different 845s and 805s and they all change the sound in different ways. Haven't go enough time on most of the tubes to give a worth while report as the sound is still changing on the tube pairs.

Why are you looking at SS rectification? I played around with SS replacements similar to the ones linked above. I liked tubes more than any of the ones I tried.

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve used SS recti over the years plenty of times
For one thing if not critical listening it don’t burn exp tube ones.
play audio or not if glowing recti is being used.
the various SS do have different sounds
stage size and position is not good like a tube recti
bass to me is best on par with best recti in details and decay
the rest varies depending on the rest of the chain
I would ask Lampi to ensure compatibility

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing