(Tube) phono stage with multiple equalization curves

analogsense

May 10, 2021
Germany
OK, but what does it tell me?

Which EQ curve is the right one? Columbia, Decca? How do record collectors deal with this who want to hear their Blue Notes authentically?

Last edited:

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Finding the "right" curve is in my opinion a matter of taste - or trial & error; but for the more common brands / records they may be well documented.

I tried to sketch some curves - here my graphical attempts
(some are "best-guesses" from other graphs, hence NOT very exact)

Interesting to note: RIAA is sometimes not such a bad compromise...;)

Regards

Urs

Attachments

• EQ-CURVES FOR MONO-MICROGROOVES + LP.pdf
    385 KB · Views: 23
  • 5-EQ-curves.pdf
    207.5 KB · Views: 15
  • EQ-KURVEN.PDF
    386.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Arpeggione

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Finding the "right" curve is in my opinion a matter of taste - or trial & error; but for the more common brands / records they may be well documented.

Regards
Urs
That is exactly my experience.

First I start with the RIAA equalisation and then choose the right EQ curve by ear. This gives the best results in total, taking into account the most important 4 points.

1- The recording. 2- The sound characteristics of your system. 3-The room characteristic/reflections. 4- Personal taste.

With which phono stage do you listen to your mono records?

Here you can see in the PDF a list of all 20 international mono equalisations for vinyl with curve name and the corresponding frequencies - bass boost- / - roll off-.

groovemaster

Attachments

• AS_Monophonic_EQ_List_33rpm_210501.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: UEM

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
A member of our Analog Spirit, AS community, sent me his latest Upgrade of his Mono Set up. Garrard 301 (grease beraring) with Ortofon tonearm and a Mono SPU.

His latest achievement is the AS Monophonic with infinitely variable equalisation of the various international mono labels. It is always a pleasure to see how harmoniously the AS Monophonic from Audiospecials Germany integrates into the company of legendary brands such as Mark Levinson and others.

groovemaster IMG_8578_1.jpg IMG_8579_1.jpg

Reactions: mtemur and Derainer

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
….As does a small Italian brand …
Maybe you refer to Faber‘s Power. A fantastic company with very nice peoples, I have met them on a Hifi show.
The phono stage is solid state, no remote control.

Other nice gear for true mono playback is the Swedish Sentec EQ 10, or later EQ 11 phono stage. With tubes, no remote.

Another fantastic gear is the German Gruensch MCS+ phono stage.

(i know, the thread is old, but mono never dies…)

Urs, have you already find a solution?

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Birdwatcher,
Yes - see my thread no 53.

It's an AMR PH77, which fullfils all (OK: Most !!) of my wishes.
I'm operating the PH77 as an MM Stage only, as I also use an excellent AirTight ATH-2A SUT, with by-pass and two ratios, 2 ohm and 40 ohm : 2 ohm (29 dB, 1:30 ) for my SPU, and the KOETSU , and 40 ohm (23dB, 1:14) for my EMT Shellac cartridges.

From the 23 EQ-curves :cool: I'm using over 99 % RIAA (!!) for Stereo, sometimes also for OLD Stereo there are Columbia & Decca + CCIR56.
Selection is highly empirical: I use what I think sounds best. ;)

For Microgroove MONO likewise - there are even more curves to choose from...

Regards
Urs

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Congratulations for the nice AMR, that I always looked at….

Just one suggestion: try for nearly all stereo German pressed LPs till to the 90ies Teldec curve and reversed phase. Just as first step….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing