Trying to mask high frequency whine from ceiling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahwman

May 31, 2020
Please forgive me if I’m posting this question in the wrong place. I happen to be hyper sensitive to sound especially when trying to sleep. That said, I recently installed a high end ceiling fan with a dc motor and while the fan itself is very quiet, it produces a constant high frequency (10k) sound while in operation. It’s not particularly loud, however it drives me crazy as the sound oscillates from the air movement of the fan blades and can be heard even while listening to music or watching TV. I’ve read other reviews and this appears to be consistent with this model of fan versus it being a defect. Is there an effective way to either mask or block a high frequency such as this?

Thanks so much...

10khz is probably bearing noise or metal on metal friction. :( How to deal with that?

10khz is probably bearing noise or metal on metal friction. :( How to deal with that?

The sound I’m referring to is present before the motor or fan itself spins upon startup. I theorize that this could be related to how the ac current is converted to dc current. In any case, this seems to be consistent with others who have purchased this model. I’m just hoping there is a way to at least dull some of this (10k frequency).

The sound is coming from the fan itself?

It's probably the transformer or rectifier then. I guess you could pot it but I'd have an electrician do it also I'm not sure if it would bee safe in terms of heat build up. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Cold solder joint is also possible. SMPS transformers can make noise like Jack says.

Best thing to do is try to listen to another one or see what parts are available for replacement. Generally any slightly nicer fan you can order parts for, instead of replacing all of it.

Please forgive me if I’m posting this question in the wrong place. I happen to be hyper sensitive to sound especially when trying to sleep. That said, I recently installed a high end ceiling fan with a dc motor and while the fan itself is very quiet, it produces a constant high frequency (10k) sound while in operation. It’s not particularly loud, however it drives me crazy as the sound oscillates from the air movement of the fan blades and can be heard even while listening to music or watching TV. I’ve read other reviews and this appears to be consistent with this model of fan versus it being a defect. Is there an effective way to either mask or block a high frequency such as this?

Thanks so much...
So you join a high end audio forum instead of an appliance one to ask a question about a noisy fan? The obvious question is why are you trolling here, can't believe people actually take you seriously. Change the fan!

david

Reactions: Kcin and bonzo75
So you join a high end audio forum instead of an appliance one to ask a question about a noisy fan? The obvious question is why are you trolling here, can't believe people actually take you seriously. Change the fan!

david
How dare me David to ask such a question. I’m so sorry if I’ve offended you by my question. Perhaps you can find it in your heart forgive me...

Reactions: Ed.P
How dare me David to ask such a question. I’m so sorry if I’ve offended you by my question. Perhaps you can find it in your heart forgive me...
What I said has nothing to do with that.

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing