Transitioning From Solid State Dac To Tube

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I'm curious of how others approach this. Waiting on the Horizon, always had SS components. I'm an early riser, typically by 6am music is playing. I do my chores outside back in the house and I resume listening. On average 4-5 hours a day listening, unless I'm fully involved in a project. Does your listening habits change when using a Tube Dac? I understand the importance of not doing repeated on/off's. Am I over thinking this? Which is usually the case...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can honestly say that the Horizon has driven my listening habits to 90% digital. My entire system is tubes so I first came to understand Lampi when I previously owned a Pacific and loved it. I didn't believe Lukasz could make a better DAC than the Pacific but hearing is believing. Im definitely not a tube roller but after 3 hops, skips and a jump tube rolling exercise I found the tube set which lights up my ears. I have bought enough back ups of each that I feel comfortable sailing off. into "the horizon"

For me it is often difficult to find the correct adjectives to describe the Horizon without being accused of hyperbole. Suffice it to say I have personally not heard better. Now that Taiko has released an alpha version of XDMS, I find myself spending many hours at a time listening. Simply put, I have just not heard better digital

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I can honestly say that the Horizon has driven my listening habits to 90% digital. My entire system is tubes so I first came to understand Lampi when I previously owned a Pacific and loved it. I didn't believe Lukasz could make a better DAC than the Pacific but hearing is believing. Im definitely not a tube roller but after 3 hops, skips and a jump tube rolling exercise I found the tube set which lights up my ears. I have bought enough back ups of each that I feel comfortable sailing off. into "the horizon"

For me it is often difficult to find the correct adjectives to describe the Horizon without being accused of hyperbole. Suffice it to say I have personally not heard better. Now that Taiko has released an alpha version of XDMS, I find myself spending many hours at a time listening. Simply put, I have just not hear better digital
I should have explained more clearly: Just from an application, do you turn the DAC on and leave it on until your finished listening? I Regardless of hours on? BTW my Tube selection is very similar or same as yours. I payed attention to some of the more experienced tube guys on the forum and chose well regarded tubes.

Steve Williams

I don't leave my Horizon on nor do I leave my equipment on. I turn it on half hour before listening and turn everything off after. Having said that, tubes have a finite life and can blow so I always have sufficient back up tubes should problems occur

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I'm curious of how others approach this. Waiting on the Horizon, always had SS components. I'm an early riser, typically by 6am music is playing. I do my chores outside back in the house and I resume listening. On average 4-5 hours a day listening, unless I'm fully involved in a project. Does your listening habits change when using a Tube Dac? I understand the importance of not doing repeated on/off's. Am I over thinking this? Which is usually the case...

John, I have have tube integrated amps in my main system and turn them on and then off once when a listening session is complete. Likewise, if I know that I will be background listening while focused on something else indoors and that's all, they get turned off after. If there is at combination of background listening and then focused listening they get turned off after the combined time has elapsed. My approach is the same with my 2nd system which has both a tube integrated and DAC. If there is an instance when I need to go outside to tend to chores for a bit while having been in the midst of listening, I will leave the equipment on if I am not going to be more than an hour

Steve Williams

When it comes to tubes imo it is very important that once the system is powered off it shouldn’t be turned on again when the tubes are still hot. Many tubes can be blown this way

John T

Feb 15, 2022
It seems as though I will have to alter my listening routine out of being prudent and sensible. If I know I'll be going out the door for a few hours or more of work, (which is usually daily fall/winter it doesn't make sense to power up the Horizon just for very casual coffee/reading a few newspapers, listening. So my listening session will start later in the day...Not really that big of a deal...Flexibility...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hey John;

To certain extent I'm more careful with amp & pre vs DAC which I'm quite on ease even leaving it ON during the day...

Cheers;
G

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing