Tracing Individual's DNA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My brother had his DNA tested for just $100 and was encouraging me to do the same (I think he used 23andme service). I just landed on a interview and this video that talks about Nat Geo doing the same:

The one that my brother did apparently identifies genes that might dictate disease and such.

What is the general view of our medical experts on such things? Worth the $100 or $200 to do? Has anyone done that and can share their feedback here?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Amir,
This topic is the subject of so much discussion in the medical world, one could not possibly do it justice here. There are surely positive and negative aspects to being so well "informed". For example, if you knew you would be destined to contract a fatal disease, several obvious questions come to mind. such as 1) would you want to know? 2) if those tests revealed a likelihood of passing on a lethal trait, would it alter your plans for having children? 3) Should insurance companies have access to that information to alter your rates or perhaps even deny coverage to you or your offspring? The list of pragmatic, ethical and medical questions simply abound. One can only hope we enter this brave new world wisely and be made better individuals, patients and citizens who contribute to society as a result. Unfortunately you can bet it will be a very very difficult journey. We simply have never seen anything like this in the history of mankind. A very brave new world indeed.
Marty

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Marty. I had not thought about those aspects. Definitely food for thought. Seems like when the costs got down so low, it has become a "disruptive" technology.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Unfortunately, they told me I was 98.8 percent the same as this guy, I wish I never had it done. chimpanzee-picture.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing