The WBF Top Classic Rock Albums

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Felix did get the definition right, it was a radio label for what was known in the late 60's and 70's as AOR, and is typically what we think of today as harder rock, rather than rock and roll in the early Chuck Berry or Elvis sense. It's starting point may actually be what the Stones and Beatles did with the stuff from the Chess catalog, and morphed through psychedelia (Hendrix and Cream) and Brit blues driven rock (Cream and Led Zep) into a variety of directions, some of it country influenced (Eagles), some of it what we now think of as 'progressive' (YES, ELP), but in my mind stops with grunge, which is Nirvana. In the middle, you have some pretty heavy rock stuff, like Black Sabbath, some operatic hard rock (like Queen), bands like Aerosmith and AC/DC, which you could either say were guitar driven or derivative of the whole Zep thing with the wailing lead singer. Mostly guy stuff, although Janis fits. I'm probably still not capturing it, but I know it when I see it- it's what the guys in Pittsburgh where I grew up would find acceptable to listen to and not think you were a wimp (or worse).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have a few choice words for ya Bob! Go plant another tree...I think you need fresh air! ROFLMAO!

You know John, I plant some trees every single year, since 1975. ...And even before that.
I'm sure you don't have any problem with that, as it is very beneficial for the survival of the human race and the planet which inhabits it.

And Happy New Year to you too; should be a very good one moving forward. :b

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Except that...

The Clash and similar groups initiated the genre called "punk rock" in the later '70's because it rejected many of (what were considered) the characteristics of "rock" (what we now call "classic rock") and especially "progressive rock", and REM and its imitators were labelled at the time (and still) "alternative rock" because they rejected both punk and the popular music of the time which called itself "rock", and tried to offer a return to the classic "rock" of the late '60's.

So there are good reasons for the seemingly arbitrary time cut-off of around 1975 as well as excluding singer-songwriters like Cat Stevens, James Taylor, etc. and also "jazz rock" like Chicago, BS&T, Soft Machine, etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Any Judas Priest's fans here? ...A great 'colorful' band.

- Yeah, Chicago, Soft Machine, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Elton John, ....don't have anything to do with Classic Rock Albums.

...Except for Chicago and Soft Machine and Elton John. ...Even Cat Stevens, and Shawn Phillips.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
The Clash and similar groups initiated the genre called "punk rock" in the later '70's because it rejected many of (what were considered) the characteristics of "rock" (what we now call "classic rock") and especially "progressive rock"....

Be still my heart, I actually agree with something you've said. Then, later in the same post, you cited Chicago and Soft Machine in the same sentence to restore the balance. Nice when things work out.

:)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hey, they each had at least one horn player in the band (at least for a while)

:D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So is it time to close the nomination period and name an official list?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing