The Social Network

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Recently saw this with my wife and IMHO I found it to be truly entertaining and in my top 5 so far this year. As we all know it is the story of (The) Facebook and its founder Mark Zuckerberg. Suffice it to say we all know the story but some of the details were quite intriguing such as the founder of Napster Shawn Fanning was influential in convincing Zuckerberg to make some tough decisions. Here we are at our new site priding ourselves in such short order how quickly we have grown and now have 500 members. It is humbling to note that at the inception of Facebook he was getting 7000 members per hour and now has 500 Million members. This equates to 1:14 people worldwide. I felt the kid (Jesse Eisenberg) who played Zuckerberg was terrific although he was truly portrayed as a nerdy genius who wrote the code for Facebook in one evening while drunk having been rejected by a girlfriend. I found the story well told and provided for 2 hours of enjoyable entertainment

Highly Recommended

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been hearing good things about this film from folks I trust -- Steve's post is the tipping point for me -- definitely going to check it out.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As predicted, this was the movie that won most of the awards at The Golden Globes and I fully expect it to take top honors at the Academy Awards next month

IMO this was clearly the best movie of the year

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I resisted seeing The Social Network.

It's the kind of film where someone recommends it, you ask what it's about, they reply, "it's about the guy that started Face Book."

And I think to myself, "how in the world could THAT be entertaining."

Then, I find out David Fincher directed it and I think to myself, "why is David Fincher directing a movie about THAT guy?!"

But, people I trust kept recommending it so my resistance was worn down.

So, I get the blu-ray, pop it in and within minutes, I'm riveted on this film.

Fincher took the right approach towards this subject and he brought all of his love of movie-making with him.

Don't ask anyone what it's about.

Just see it.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Yes, I would have to agree with Steve on the fact that the Social Network did so much with so little (i.e I give the director huge kudos). Never once did I look at my watch or even think about anything but being into the film.

BTW, the 5.1 hirez PCM surround soundtrack on BluRay (includes audio only surround and 2 channel) is amazing!! A great audio demo!! While I assume King's Speech may take the major awards, I'm hoping Trent and Atticus get the nod for soundtrack as they did at the Golden Globes. Again, this soundtrack is not what one would have thought when trying to build a movie around the frankly geeky story. Great out of the box movie making.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing