The Ride on Tesla S

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Had a friend give me a ride on the Tesla S. I have to say, I was not prepared for the experience. He floors it, I am pushed into my seat due to sheer force of acceleration. What I was not prepared for was not as much that but rather the total lack of engine noise. It is hard to describe in words but it feels like you are leaping forward under your own power at that speed. The lack of mechanical noise takes away the notion of an engine moving you. It is one of the most unique auto experiences I have ever had. Even if you are not in the market, find someone who has one to take on you a ride.

On a much smaller scale, that giant display is super cool. While stopped at the light, it was really cool to look at the high definition image of what was behind you on a giant screen. The dash is incredibly pretty.

I am sort of stuck on SUV ownership given how much I haul but if I were not, I would beg, borrow or steal money to get one. They have really built the iPod of cars.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Amir, I have a friend who drives a Tesla S. LOVES IT!! However, he says he has a severe case of "range anxiety":rolleyes: Apparently, there are re-charging stations popping up all over and this is helping with these range issues. IMO, if Tesla can keep up the good work, they will be a MAJOR force to be reckoned with in the automotive world in the next few years. I'm going to be very interested for myself once this car has a few more years on it. Electric vehicles, like this one, are I suspect the wave of the future.:)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Too bad the fit & finish is so poor. I have recently sat in one (but not driven) while in LA, and was amazed that it sells for $90k. VW Jetta is much better put together.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Too bad the fit & finish is so poor. I have recently sat in one (but not driven) while in LA, and was amazed that it sells for $90k. VW Jetta is much better put together.

I had noticed that too. The back seat is a joke as far as quality. I guess one has to pay for the technology and not so much the quality:rolleyes:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
There will be one at THE Show this month.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think I am the only one on WBF who has one. So far so good at 3 months and 2500 miles. Haven't noticed any issues with range anxiety (less than my ICE -internal combustion engine - since it is always filled in the morning and I don't have to think about going to the gas station), and the fit and finish on mine is fine - close enough to my other car, a 2007 Lexus LS460L. Coincidentally, they both were rated 99 by Consumer Reports - both after I bought them. I am driving the Tesla a whole bunch more than the Lexus, even though both do 0-60 in 5.6 sec (I didn't get the Performance model of the Tesla), just more fun to drive. Great to be able to hold 5 adults and 2 grandkids also. The Lexus only holds 4, but has a much more comfortable rear seat - with an ottoman, so my wife puts up her feet and even gets a massage, something the Tesla (or the normal 460L) doesn't do. The Lexus and Tesla cost about the same, after the tax credits, even though they are 6 years apart in age. I have solar panels on the roof of the house which generate over 10,000 kwH per year - enough to go about 30,000 miles in the Tesla. So right now I get enough energy from the sun to drive my car (projected about 8,000 miles this year) and power my stereo system.

Larry

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think I am the only one on WBF who has one. So far so good at 3 months and 2500 miles. Haven't noticed any issues with range anxiety (less than my ICE -internal combustion engine - since it is always filled in the morning and I don't have to think about going to the gas station), and the fit and finish on mine is fine - close enough to my other car, a 2007 Lexus LS460L. Coincidentally, they both were rated 99 by Consumer Reports - both after I bought them. I am driving the Tesla a whole bunch more than the Lexus, even though both do 0-60 in 5.6 sec (I didn't get the Performance model of the Tesla), just more fun to drive. Great to be able to hold 5 adults and 2 grandkids also. The Lexus only holds 4, but has a much more comfortable rear seat - with an ottoman, so my wife puts up her feet and even gets a massage, something the Tesla (or the normal 460L) doesn't do. The Lexus and Tesla cost about the same, after the tax credits, even though they are 6 years apart in age. I have solar panels on the roof of the house which generate over 10,000 kwH per year - enough to go about 30,000 miles in the Tesla. So right now I get enough energy from the sun to drive my car (projected about 8,000 miles this year) and power my stereo system.

Larry

You're my hero !!! :D ... Working on a similar renewal energy project and the Tesla has become my official dream car :D ... About 3 years to join you in the solar/Tesla club

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats indeed very cool , but you need a sunny place for that , i think the climate overhere gets about a 1000 miles , and will also restrict one to a 20 watt poweramp stereoset :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just got the consumer reports where they reviewed the Tesla S. They gave it a score of 99/100 -- the highest score for any car they have ever reviewed! As a reference, a Porsche Panamera got 84.

Equiv. mileage is 84 mpg. Cost/mile is 4.4 cents which is remarkably close to 3.5 Nissan Leaf.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

it's a complicated subject. since franchised auto dealers are heavily taxed in every state and active politically on a grass roots level everywhere they do have leverage with the state and congressional law makers. and every time dealers are taxed or regulated there are balancing protections given to the dealer system. and the manufacturers need the dealer political base for their own protection from harmful legislation. so the current dealer distribution system is pretty strong. and 20% to 25% of our national economy is based on the automobile business, franchise system, and related activity. it's not to be messed with. lots of stake holders.

Tesla has no shot at direct selling on a national basis. they have no political base to get this done.

lots of manufacturers have tried direct selling and it has failed every time. they need the investment and hands-on energy of local dealers to move product and service customers. state laws are quite strong on these issues for good reason.

in most states you cannot lawfully sell any new automobile unless you are a franchised dealer of that make. even fleet sales must go thru dealers. manufacturers cannot sell direct.

it may be a very good product, but will require a dealer network to be successful.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
it's a complicated subject. since franchised auto dealers are heavily taxed in every state and active politically on a grass roots level everywhere they do have leverage with the state and congressional law makers. and every time dealers are taxed or regulated there are balancing protections given to the dealer system. and the manufacturers need the dealer political base for their own protection from harmful legislation. so the current dealer distribution system is pretty strong. and 20% to 25% of our national economy is based on the automobile business, franchise system, and related activity. it's not to be messed with. lots of stake holders.

Tesla has no shot at direct selling on a national basis. they have no political base to get this done.

lots of manufacturers have tried direct selling and it has failed every time. they need the investment and hands-on energy of local dealers to move product and service customers. state laws are quite strong on these issues for good reason.

in most states you cannot lawfully sell any new automobile unless you are a franchised dealer of that make. even fleet sales must go thru dealers. manufacturers cannot sell direct.

it may be a very good product, but will require a dealer network to be successful.

I'm a liber...ahem, progressive...and I understand that it should not be the business of government to support one business model at the expense of another. But of course it is. Ideaology doesn't hold a candle to campaign contributions and tax revenues.

And Amir? Did you just pay Apple a compliment? :)

Tim

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm a liber...ahem, progressive...and I understand that it should not be the business of government to support one business model at the expense of another. But of course it is. Ideaology doesn't hold a candle to campaign contributions and tax revenues.......

Tim

but even the ideolgy for Tesla's side is not that clear. it is also complicated.

when manufacturers fail to take care of customers, dealers still have state mandated obligations. and dealers have local pressure to perform. sometimes manufactures even go broke and dealers are left holding the bag to care for the customers. the state views dealers as a 'control' of the manufactuers and an ally to hold manufacturers accountable for doing their part.

so states respect what franchised dealers do for the customer.

no doubt there are lots of ways to view this government-business relationship. automobiles are part of our daily lives. there is no way to avoid some give and take to make it all work.

it would not harm Tesla to have franchised dealers. it's more that Tesla wants to do it their way. good luck with that.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Larry

you are indeed my hero as well. Solar on the roof to aid your sound system and to power your Tesla. Wow

In order to pick a fight with Larry, I guess i too can power my stereo system with my bicycle if my power amps were flea powered like Larry's. ;)

It was good to see you again Larry. :)

Ki

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Learned something new. Had no idea about this. Thanks for the explanation Mike. Lack of local dealer/service is a point of objection for me with Tesla. Not that I am ready to buy if they remedied it but I am going to object anyway. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing