The long quest to educate one-self about past gems

LMR-Miguel

Oct 19, 2023
Sintra, Portugal
This is not the beginning, nor the end, but right now I'm having a blast discovering the FR-7 cartridge paired with a FR-64s heavy tonearm

If this isn't close to perfection, I don't know what is :)

The cartridge itself is a bit of an oddball statement from Ikeda San in his Fidelity Research years (the cartridge debuted in 1978 and features a unique internal construction with a cube-like coil former and a push-pull set of redundant coils/magnets per channel). Having heard a Koetsu Rosewood Signature lately in its place using the same arm, this FR-7 is tonaly more neutral, maybe as a slight downside I think the upper registers are not as smooth (veiled?) as the koetsu, while retaining a great deal of sounding natural

fr-7(2).jpeg
fr-7(4).jpeg
fr-7(3).jpeg
fr-7(1).jpeg

Last edited:

LMR-Miguel

Oct 19, 2023
Sintra, Portugal
Now for direct comparison, the same track on different cartridges (output leveled to the best of my abilities manually with the input pots of my Scarlett interface),

cart #2, Supex SDX-1000 (with silver coil windings):

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing