The importance of VTA, SRA and Azimuth - pics

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
additional to parallax and optical errors there are also lots of variations mentioned above on measuring angle on a picture taken by a microscope. and still an important problem remains unsolved which is trying to measure a dynamic system with static methods.

on the other hand aligning zenith angle with AM and test record is a dynamic method for a dynamic system. I used AM and test records to setup lots of turntables and cartridges. zenith, SRA and anti-skating adjustments end up at the same alignments using both AM test record and Analogue Productions test record. if you can make record sit perfectly flat on the platter (vacuum hold down) than azimuth tracks give the same alignment too. track locations are totally different on those two records and they're cut at different lathes but software leads you to the same cartridge alignment position in the headshell. which means both records are carefully and rightfully cut and pressed. more importantly it means the alignments you make are correct and also sounds better compared to optical alignment methods.
Hi mtemur,

I am not sure whether you are commenting generally on the challenges of univariate measurements using microscopy or if they are meant for me and my use of them. I imagine you meant your comments generally since we have both functionally eliminated optical distortion error and we also test dynamically those parameters that respond to playback; namely, SRA/VTA and, to a much lesser extent, azimuth. Zenith error is fixed and is not altered by dynamic conditions. However, if your tonearm has excessive (or not enough) horizontal torque force or frictional force any “zenith error” test using a test record will certainly be informed by this condition and the resultant “optimal” setting for zenith error will be influenced by this errant force which will then result in doing the best you can for zenith error with what you don’t know you have at play in your tonearm. Out of control torque force will certainly cause additional issues that must be contended with but unless you measure directly for it you cannot know it exists and to what extent. This is why I tell people that if they get nothing else from WallyTools, get a WallySkater to measure these horizontal and frictional forces to ensure your tonearm doesn’t screw up your cantilever alignment.

Eliminating the variables - that is the value of univariate measurements and why they are the sine qua non of analytical certitude.

so I am not sure what “optical alignment methods” you might be referring to other than those we do regularly - and have been getting progressively better and better at it where as of about 4-5 weeks ago we can safely say our accuracy is down to a small fraction of a degree as per above. In short, I have to contest the assertion that the methodology is problematic or somehow less accurate than multivariate analysis which is fraught with problems starting with the faceting of the cutting styli used to cut the lacquer for the test record and then negatively influenced by a minimum of 14 other variables that we’ve counted to date. But don’t take my word for it: we intend to make it the subject of one of several peer reviewed research papers.

ianm0

Feb 22, 2018
J.R. Thanks for the detailed exposition. I do have a question to raise with regard to Fremer's method of measuring SRA using a CD as the platform. A CD has much finer grooves vs a record. When a stylus rests on either CD or LP, the point(s) of the stylus in contact with the grooves in each is different. Consequently SRA measured will be different. My question is how different? Will it or will it not be significant enough?
I did a quantitive ESTIMATE, as guideline only, on the quantitive relationship between SRA and tonearm height. Please see:

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I did a quantitive ESTIMATE, as guideline only, on the quantitive relationship between SRA and tonearm height. Please see:
Hi ianm0,
Sorry for late reply in giving your point my attention. Just getting my head above water and returning home from being on the road. Will reply in original post when I get time.
J.R.

Reactions: Johan K

ianm0

Feb 22, 2018
Hi JR
With your sophisticated equipment, I hope you can shed some light on:
When a particular tonearm height is changed by say, 2 mm and other values, how much is the height of the rear end of the cantilever has changed for a particular cartridge? That will be an interesting academic exercise. Without doubt that depends of effective mass of tonearm and compliance of the cartridge. In my original post, I did not take into account the tonearm's rotation about the pivot. That certainly could thrown some doubt on my assertion. Clarification will be most welcome. After all, all theories are subject to experimental verifications.
Hope you have time for it.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi ianm0,
Sorry for late reply in giving your point my attention. Just getting my head above water and returning home from being on the road. Will reply in original post when I get time.
J.R.
Hi J.R.

Nice to see you on the WBF… I just join the forum 1-2 weeks ago, so I’m pretty new here.. but I like it.. Hope you’re good my friend .

All the best

Johan in Sweden
5B75ECF0-5716-449F-9798-FBEC017C3C09.jpeg

Reactions: rDin

scericson

Sep 11, 2018
What software are you using with your digital camera? I've seen photos taken with angles superimposed but I have not found the software that does that.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
What software are you using with your digital camera? I've seen photos taken with angles superimposed but I have not found the software that does that.
The software comes with the WallyScope camera. It is made by the same company that makes the microscope camera. If you want a simple app to lay down angular measurements in photos, just type "angle measurement app" and see what comes up.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing