The Hangover Part III Official Trailer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I must admit that I loved the first two but here is the first review of Part lll

By Scott Mantz

Proving that lightning doesn't always strike twice - let alone three times - the final installment of director Todd Phillips' so-called "epic" trilogy is such a colossal failure that there's really no reason for it to exist at all.
"The Hangover Part III"
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis
Directed by: Todd Phillips
If 2011's horrible "Hangover Part II" wasn't enough of a red flag that its phenomenally successful predecessor was something of a fluke, then its even-more-horrible follow-up, "The Hangover Part III," should officially serve as the last call for the Wolfpack. Proving that lightning doesn't always strike twice - let alone three times - the final installment of director Todd Phillips' so-called "epic" trilogy is such a colossal failure that there's really no reason for it to exist at all (except, of course, to make its distributor, Warner Bros., a gazillion dollars at the box office when it goes up against "Fast and Furious 6" over the long and lucrative Memorial Day Weekend).
But Phillips gets a smidgen of credit for at least trying something different in an effort to break the mold set by both of its predecessors, which together have grossed more than $1 billion worldwide. Jettisoning the morning-after structure that worked extremely well once, but clearly not twice, "Part III" finds longtime buddies Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and Doug (Justin Bartha) staging an intervention for their dark horse friend Alan (Zach Galifianakis). As if it wasn't bad enough that the 42-year-old bearded one still lives at home with his parents, his accidental decapitation of a giraffe on a busy Los Angeles freeway (don't ask) turns out to be the last straw.
But before Phil, Stu and Doug can get him to a facility where he can get some help, a mysterious mob kingpin named Marshall (John Goodman) has a mighty big bone to pick with them. It seems that the Wolfpack set a series of unfortunate events into motion with the outrageous Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) during their infamous bachelor party in Las Vegas a few years ago - events that cost Marshall millions of dollars. Now it's payback time, and unless they can do right by finding Mr. Chow and delivering him to Marshall's hands, a head-throbbing hangover will be the least of their problems.
For a movie that's called "The Hangover," there's not a whole lot to get hung over about. There's no wild bachelor party, no heavy drinking, no blackout, no rooster, no tiger, no baby and no missing tooth. Oh, and no Mike Tyson. But there is the return of Heather Graham as the now-former stripper with a heart of gold and a scene-stealing turn from Melissa McCarthy as a love interest for Zach Galifianakis, so all is not lost.
What it has far too much of, sadly, is Ken Jeong as Mr. Chow. He was funny enough as a supporting character in the first film - one who made an unforgettable entrance when he jumped buck-naked out of a car trunk and onto poor Bradley Cooper's face. But after wearing out his welcome in the lame sequel, his character is simply too annoying and unfunny to have an entire plot revolve around him.
It doesn't help that the returning cast members are all over the place. Ed Helms seems to be giving it the old college try, but Bradley Cooper - who filmed "Hangover III" while doing the dog-and-pony show during Awards Season for his Oscar-nominated turn in "Silver Linings Playbook" - looks like he'd rather be someplace else. Heather Graham returns from the first movie for one underutilized scene, while John Goodman plays his bad guy mob boss so seriously it feels like he's acting in a different movie.
Zach Galifianakis is a modest saving grace, as he gives "Hangover III" an unexpected touch of sweetness. But for a sequel that lacks any of the spark, spirit and inspiration that made the first "Hangover" such a wildly successful concoction, it comes far too late, and it's not enough to save the film. So let this indeed be the last call for the Wolfpack, which has now taken two trips to the bar too many.
Verdict: SKIP IT!

Steve Williams

Well we saw it this afternoon

Critics were right on the money. This is a trilogy that should have stopped at the first one which was in my top 5 movies that year. Two was OK and 3 was so bad that there wasn't a redeeming moment

Most of the best jokes were in the trailer that we've been seeing for months

I would also go so far as saying that this film was so bad it makes Gatsby look like the movie of the year

I would also say it's not even worth $4.99 to watch On Demand

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It was noble of you to sacrifice yourself to save us the trouble.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Like you I thought the first film was very funny with a good story line. But after watching the second installment I wasn't about to spend anymore time with this series:(.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Steve Williams

I must say that I wanted to see the film only because I loved the first and the trailers of 3 caught my attention until the critics' reviews. Still saw it anyway (pity me :()

Far from a comedy. More of a comedic drama but still a terrible film which as they say should never have been made

Steve Williams

I can't believe that so many idiots besides me and my wife went to see this horrible movie

Even With 'Hangover III,' State of Movie Comedies No Laughing Matter

"The Hangover Part III" is on its way to becoming the year's biggest movie comedy at the box office, but that's not saying a lot this year.
After debuting Thursday, Warner Bros.' finale in the raunchy and R-rated film franchise from director Todd Phillips was on course to take in more than $51 million over the long weekend. But the film's Wolf Pack – including stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis – has lost some box office bite. Just two years ago, "The Hangover II" debuted with $85 million over the Memorial Day weekend.
And "Hangover III" came up way short in its head-to-head battle with "Fast and Furious 6," the Universal action movie that is driving the Memorial Day weekend to a record total with a projected $122 million haul.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Our first experience with the series was Part II. Both my wife and I thought it was very original and funny. I guess not having seen the first one helped. We then saw the first one and enjoyed that too. A week or so ago saw the trailer and the cast on morning TV show. They seemed low energy and not funny. Nor did the trailer. So I had a feeling it was not that good but not to this extent. Thanks for saving us the money to see it Steve.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can't believe that so many idiots besides me and my wife went to see this horrible movie

And it doesn't look like Android would have saved you, either :D Seriously, thanks for the tip. I have to admit I was rolling on the floor with the first installment; didn't see #2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing