The future of Jazz- meet Joey Alexander

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
When I was 14, the Beatles had just broken through in America and would soon usher in an era that displaced 50's Rock and Roll. Bob Dylan was all the rage in some sects but I would not be able to relate for a number of years yet. And Motown was in its infancy. But when a childhood friend brought me into his bedroom and played an LP of some fellow named John Coltrane, I was instantly hooked. Jazz became a life-long passion. Unfortunately, for many years now, many critics have had serious reservations about the ability of that art form to maintain sustained popularity, including the great Wynton Marsalis, who has done more than any living person to educate the public and especially youth about jazz.

It was therefore with total and utter shock that I learned of a new comet in the jazz heavens by the name of Joey Alexander. I nearly crapped in my pants after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw

His new album is called "My favorite things" (obvious homage to one of Coltrane's most popular songs) and was released 2 days ago on Amazon. He will also be on the Today Show tomorrow morning May 14th. By the way, the first song I ever heard Coltrane play? Giant Steps. All I can say is that I'm glad I lived long enough to see this unbelievable talent appear on the scene, because it gives hope that jazz is alive and well and will be for some time to come.

Oh, by the way, the kid is twelve years old and he's from Bali (hardly the epicenter of the jazz world as far as I know).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Incredible, thanks!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow! :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Double wow!!!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Yup! You either have it or you don't.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing