ThE Danish Girl

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this film yesterday after waiting several months from when the trailer was first seen. This film is receiving mediocre reviews at best but nonetheless my wife and I wanted to see it. The theater surprisingly was packed. run time was 2 hours which was just right to convey the story which once again is a biopic loosely based on fact

The remarkable love story inspired by the lives of artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili's groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer. -- (C) Focus Features
Rating: R (for some sexuality and full nudity)
Genre: Drama
Directed By: Tom Hooper
Written By: Lucinda Coxon
In Theaters: Nov 27, 2015 Limited
Box Office: $3.2M
Runtime: 2 hr.

Lili was played by Eddye Redmayne and Gerda by the drop dead gorgeous Alicia Vikander who we all remember as the AI in Ex Machina

Suffice it to say that Eddye Redmayne was once again absolutely superb in the role of Lili. His mannerisms, facial expressions and the way he carried himself throughout his transformation into a woman was mesmerizing. He is one superb Actor. Alicia Vikander likewise was also superb in her role. I would expect to see nominations for both from the Academy My wife thoroughly enjoyed the movie and stated that it was carefully and tastefully done.

This is an unwavering love story about two people from the start to finish and although not a great film is one which I would say "don't miss" even though ratings aren't great

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Line of the year nomination ... "I've only liked a handful of people in my life, and you've been two of them."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
seems like one of those "acting Olympics" type movies that isn't worth seeing again - where Eddie Redmayne is just trying to win awards.

Steve Williams

seems like one of those "acting Olympics" type movies that isn't worth seeing again - where Eddie Redmayne is just trying to win awards.

Keith

I am hard pressed that any one can beat Eddye Redmayne for Best Actor except possibly Leo in The Reverent and this is only by hearsay as I haven't seen the latter but intend to. It just hasn't opened here yet.

Keith, acting is their profession and the ultimate glory is to be recognized by their peers so I disagree with what you said. An actor is hired for a part for the very reason you seem not to like. He is a superb actor. This is a film that should be seen by everyone as it is a love story between these two people throughout their entire lives regardless of what happened and Lili emerged. Besides Alicia Vikander IMO has a great chance at winning Best Actress. She is proving very quickly to be a gifted actress

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith

I am hard pressed that any one can beat Eddye Redmayne for Best Actor except possibly Leo in The Reverent and this is only by hearsay as I haven't seen the latter but intend to. It just hasn't opened here yet.

Keith, acting is their profession and the ultimate glory is to be recognized by their peers so I disagree with what you said. An actor is hired for a part for the very reason you seem not to like. He is a superb actor. This is a film that should be seen by everyone as it is a love story between these two people throughout their entire lives regardless of what happened and Lili emerged. Besides Alicia Vikander IMO has a great chance at winning Best Actress. She is proving very quickly to be a gifted actress

I'm sure he's fine - but you even said in your initial review its not a great film. I've read several places Vikander outshines Redmayne in fact as you allude to. In this particular one, I guess he made sense as it requires a more effeminate looking actor.

I'm generally tired of average films with "great acting" - that started with Revolutionary Road for me a few years ago. "Acting Olympics" is actually a term from a producer friend of mine. As we've discussed before, Best Actor/Actress have largely been reduced to the form of difficult biopics. I feel that is why these independent films get green lit- certainly the Danish Girl won't clear even 10 mil at the box office.

Just my 2 cents...

Steve Williams

I'm sure he's fine - but you even said in your initial review its not a great film. I've read several places Vikander outshines Redmayne in fact as you allude to. In this particular one, I guess he made sense as it requires a more effeminate looking actor.

I'm generally tired of average films with "great acting" - that started with Revolutionary Road for me a few years ago. "Acting Olympics" is actually a term from a producer friend of mine. As we've discussed before, Best Actor/Actress have largely been reduced to the form of difficult biopics. I feel that is why these independent films get green lit- certainly the Danish Girl won't clear even 10 mil at the box office.

Just my 2 cents...

I haven't seen The Revenant yet to see how Leo does in the film because far I can't see anyone beating Eddye Remayne and yes Alicia Vikander was superb in the role of his wife

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
She's being slotted as supporting at SAG which I found interesting - wonder if that rolls over to the Academy. Blanchett has probably all but wrapped up her award (again). Think Spotlight wins best picture, but may only get an acting nomination for supporting (Adams and/or Ruffalo).

Was too lazy to drive to see the Revenant yesterday - will definitely see this weekend in wide-market release. Really hoping Leo delivers - nobody in the biz deserves it more.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw The Danish Girl today. Very interesting movie and outstanding performances by Redmayne and Vikander.

I was not familiar with this story so quite a revelation. Had no idea there was a sex change operation that long ago. First I recall was Christine Jorgensen and always thought that was the first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing