The Conspirator-Official Trailer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I saw this movie this afternoon with my wife and I must admit I thought that I knew most everything about the Lincoln assassination but this is a part of that history about which I had no idea.

This is a good movie, not a great movie but definitely worth the 2 hours and the price of admission. It is still in limited release so might be tough to find a neighborhood theater showing it. Directed by Robert Redford, the cast included Robin Wright (Sean Penn's ex), James MacAvoy, Kevin Kline to name but a few of a lengthy cast.

It is the trial of Mary Surratt the mother of John Surratt who was incriminated in the assassination of Lincoln. In his absence she was tried by a military court marshall rather than by a civil jury of her peers.

Obviously a lot of history is in the 2 hours or so of running time but I must say the movie held my attention from start to finish.

Recommended

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Unfortunately, Robert Redford was so intent on making a commentary about current events, i.e. Gitmo et al, that he deliberately turned historical fact into ambiguity. If you are interested in knowing more about the topic, there are several good books, including the recent "Manhunt" by James Swanson.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Watched this today and it was quite good. I've always liked courtroom drama and this added my knowledge about that part of American history. Nice acting too and the movie is quite gripping with a good soundtrack to go with it. I like it.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
This movie is currently available via NetFlix. I thought the acting was very good and the story compelling - rated the movie 7/10. If it's historically accurate, some powerful federal authorities have been abusing the constitution for a very long time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it's historically accurate, some powerful federal authorities have been abusing the constitution for a very long time.

My sentiments too. The 'scapegoat' issue and the 'need to kick somebody's ass' is quite disturbing, though strangely when seen through the eyes of those in power, it can be as simple as protecting 'national interests' or the 'survival of the nation'.

Steve Williams

My sentiments too. The 'scapegoat' issue and the 'need to kick somebody's ass' is quite disturbing, though strangely when seen through the eyes of those in power, it can be as simple as protecting 'national interests' or the 'survival of the nation'.

I did some research after I saw the movie and as best I could tell, it was historically accurate

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Sad to hear the mother was hanged and the son was not convicted later on

IIRC, when her son finally surrendered the law had changed and he walked free

BTW, I am also going to go out on a limb here and bet that Robin Wright Penn will be nominated for an Oscar as Best Actress". I don't think she'll win however

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And one of the most 'moving' moments for me was when the Supreme Court Justice signed the writ to stay the execution only to be suspended by the President. Based on the fact that the Justice was appointed by President Lincoln, it was logical to conclude he wouldn't sign it but he did.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
BTW, I am also going to go out on a limb here and bet that Robin Wright Penn will be nominated for an Oscar as Best Actress". I don't think she'll win however

I hope she gets nominated and win too. Loved her acting.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not too good at recognizing actors faces on screen but I thought I'd seen James McAvoy somewhere, I though it was on The Notebook but it turns out he's Charles Xavier in The Xmen First Class. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As I said at the beginning of this thread, the movie had me involved throughout and talking about it afterwards with my wife as well as here. I think Robert Redford is a terrific director

Agreed, Steve.

Steve Williams

McAvoy also played an amazing role (where I saw him first) was in The King Of Scotland which is the story of Idi Amin's physician in Uganda when Amin was the dictator. Forrest Whitaker won the Oscar for Best Actor in the role of Amin

McAvoy was terrific but don't watch it if violence and torture could upset you

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
McAvoy also played an amazing role (where I saw him first) was in The King Of Scotland which is the story of Idi Amin's physician in Uganda when Amin was the dictator. Forrest Whitaker won the Oscar for Best Actor in the role of Amin

McAvoy was terrific but don't watch it if violence and torture could upset you

Oh, I saw that movie before and again, gee, I never knew McAvoy was in that movie. Great movie and Forrest deserves the BA trophy for that role. BTW, after seeing Kevin Kline's name in the end credits I had to look hard to see which role he played. I couldn't see through his beard, as the War Secretary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing