The Birth of the "Phablet"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Steve jobs would have blown a fuse over the development of this new class of device: a large phone resembling a smart tablet. We are talking about 5 inch plus displays. First was the Samsung Galaxy Note. Then Galaxy Note 2. Now the rumors of HTC DNA coming to market in a couple of weeks on Verizon. It has a 5 inch display with a whopping 1080p resolution of 1920x1080. Pixel density is a whopping 440 (compared to 330 for iPhone 5). Quad core CPU, etc., etc.

I remember getting my Droid X when everyone thought that was too big. Admittedly, it took a bit to get used to holding it by my ear without my fingers getting tired. Now that phone is tiny compared to the current smartphones. Being in a mood to upgrade and get a 4G LTE phone, and saddled with a slow phone after Google upgraded it, I am eyeing this class of device. Mostly it is because I use my phone as an internet terminal far more than I use it as a phone. I am constantly rotating my phone to be able to read web pages.

What say you? Are you tempted?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not tempted at all for the simple reason that I usually don't need a bag wherever I go. My phone has got to fit comfortably in my pant pocket. Being in the tropics we don't wear jackets unless it's raining either. Over here these "Phablets" are popular with guys that have bit into the man purse thing. LOL.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not tempted at all for the simple reason that I usually don't need a bag wherever I go. My phone has got to fit comfortably in my pant pocket. Being in the tropics we don't wear jackets unless it's raining either. Over here these "Phablets" are popular with guys that have bit into the man purse thing. LOL.
While I have not tried them, all the reviews of Samsung Note 2 says it fits in the pocket. People even put them in the back pocket and sit on them and it does no harm! Here is a comparison of Samsung devices:

So while man purse is not in my future, baggy pants with larger pockets might be! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I carry my Note in the front pocket and it fits like a glove. In fact, I prefer it over a holster-type and grossly overpriced third party accessory. Seriously though, I find it easier to access than the belt-clip devices. The only drawback is that I have to set the volume at high or vibrate, which means I'm constantly switching modes and sometimes I forget. When the phone is set at max volume and resting on my desk I always pray it won't ring as my co-workers get really annoyed with it. LOL!

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I'm with Jack on this one. I carry my Iphone in my pants pocket. I don't want to carry around some huge smart phone. And, I wouldn't be caught dead with a man purse. If it doesn't fit in my pants, it gets left at home.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm with Jack on this one. I carry my Iphone in my pants pocket. I don't want to carry around some huge smart phone. And, I wouldn't be caught dead with a man purse. If it doesn't fit in my pants, it gets left at home.

I'll agree with you on the "man's purse" comment. Regarding it's size....different strokes for different folks. I use my Note extensively for note talking all day long, and the larger screen is wonderful and, for me, the deciding factor when I was considering a new cell.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you've got space left over for a "phablet" perhaps not all that large. LOL.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I got the Galaxy Note 2 on Friday and love it. It easily slides in and out of my front pants pocket. I thought I might mind the size, but it doesn't feel out of place. The speed and battery life are terrific. S-Voice, which is like Siri, is cool.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing