Test Equipment recs please...for RTR adjusting and calibrating

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
1) Need an Oscilloscope...recommendations for one that get's the job done ?

2) Signal generator for test tones. recommendation ?

Time to take control of my RTR machines....:cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

If it is just for adjusting and calibration I would recommend a virtual instrument - a good quality 24bit 192kHz usb soundcard such as the EMU tracker or similar and some free software, such as scope

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

It has both facilities.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Audio Precision...

I've learned from using it.
A 2236 Tek scope would be cool, too ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Whatever you do, if you ever "spectrum" look at the tones from the test tape on the tape outs of the r2r across the frequency range and at say -3db and 0db and +3 db, do keep it a secret, as its the big secret in r2r lore. OK, well, its big third harmonic, almost no second, and some residule odds up the spectrum...damn, glad no one got that out of me..

Thats never considered in a calibration test, just frequency response, speed variation and single frequency thd, usually at -10db. There is no point in actually testing what really happens given the abilities of that emu card/spectrum analyzier software, because what happens in r2r stays in r2r, a ah aha ha.

Sorry, could not resist. I am being a bad bad boy, rockitman. Please never go that deep with your tests, and if you do, keep it to yourself because if you dont have a "modified" pro deck (you see, those classic pro decks, while being the greatest thing on earth, well, they are "even better" when modded) folks don't want to hear about it, except, me, pm me if you ever do it, please.

Tom
Bad boy Tom ? Nah unenlightened...being digital only, I understand your specs vs sound quality decision criteria troubles you. Listen to a studio safety copy on 15 ips and get back to me. You can PM me your predictable results....Analog > Digital...:p

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Only need one device

A (working) Sound Technology 1500 or it's variants - along with the associated MRL test tape.

Charles

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Charles:

Since you are the master, it is easy for you to say. :)

It might behoove the newbies to learn the concept of calibrating tape machines using the conventional tools first (and be able to follow as written in the Studer service manual using the same test equipment in most cases) without the complexity of having to learn a new and more powerful instrument, IMHO.

I know what you had been telling me - ST1500 is easier than the scope and millivoltmeter method. :)

lilak5

Mar 29, 2012
Hi,

my first post here...
Maybe not a question about what's best but I also need some help with my alignments..
I use a PC with an external sound card (RMG, Babyface), a software called audioTester and a Fluke Millivoltmeter.
The generator gives out 1 kHz at 0 dBm and I adjust the PC so I read 0,775 V. With this I make my alignments (Scope and sweep).
What I do not understand (sorry for probably a stupid question...) is how to use resistors. According to Studer docs, I need 600 Ohm resistors on input and output. They change my measurements a bit. And I get different volume levels on playback and recording.
Could anybody please help me with this?

Thanks a lot

/peter

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Peter,

How are your measuring your output voltage? If you are in balanced mode, the voltage from pins 2+ and 3- should read 1.23v

lilak5

Mar 29, 2012
Hi Bruce

Between 1/2 and 1/3 it is 0,775V? Right? Will check...
(I am a mechanical engineer and always "hated" and never understood this electrical stuff...)

I would like to have a "correct" alignment for the tape machines and a constant volume level on all inputs (Burmester 808, so I can adjust the inputs if needed)

Thanks a lot!

/peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing