Tesla does a 'Zippo'

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
yesterday here locally a Tesla evidently ran over some sort of metal debris on the freeway and somehow that ignited the lithium-ion battery pack, smelling smoke the driver then pulled off the freeway, the fire department came, and they had a very hard time putting out the fire.

hummmmmmm.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...ectrics-face-safety-challenges-226366611.html

No different from the usual horror stories from more established manufacturers. Recall, maybe and re-design. Hope no lives were lot in this incident.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
No different from the usual horror stories from more established manufacturers. Recall, maybe and re-design. Hope no lives were lot in this incident.

sure it's different, unless you happen to drive a Pinto or Jeep . but those cars have not been built for years. Tesla is a new design.

in this case no one was hurt, in fact the fire was limited to the front of the vehicle but was very hard to extinguish. driving around in a car where I know that my batteries can ignite from the same type of things that might puncture my tires might be a bit worry some to people. and then even the fire department had trouble dousing the fire.

gas tanks these days are designed into the area above the rear axle, where it's protected from this type of casual exposure. especially on a $70k sedan. i'd say road debris causing a car fire in other less than one year old $70k MB, BMW, Lexus, or Infinity is a zero percent chance.....unless that road debris is an IED.

but I agree that 'crap happens' every day and car fires can happen to any vehicle if fuel ignites.....but road debris would not cause it. it likely would be some sort of part failure or assembly or service mistake. it would not be a vulnerability inherent in the design.

it's a relevant story since it's a Tesla, and there are not that many, their manufacturer claims they are the safest car, their buyers get government tax subsidies, they are Wall Street darlings, only sell $70k cars, got big start-up government subsidies, are trying an end run around state auto dealer laws, and so are somewhat controversial and newsworthy.

Last edited:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
it's a relevant story since it's a Tesla, and there are not that many, their manufacturer claims they are the safest car, their buyers get government tax subsidies, they are Wall Street darlings, only sell $70k cars, got big start-up government subsidies, are trying an end run around dealer laws, and so are somewhat controversial and newsworthy.

Good morning Mike,
On 23 August 2013 there was a post here about the Hyperloop:
"""LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk urged the public
Conspicuously absent was a commitment that Musk would sink substantial money into the project anytime soon — if ever.
One thing Musk was clear about: The public should participate in questioning, modifying and, ultimately, perfecting his proposal."""

I posted:
"Open you wallet wider
And the Taxpayer will be raked over the coals again.
- The Feds love to guarantee private loans with our tax dollars.
zz

And later I posted:
This is a science fiction version of a PALIMPSEST.
I love that line: "The public should participate"
MY translation: Elon Musk will just sponge off the taxpayers & walk away with another fortune. This new fortune will happen whether the project is a success or failure.
Take a look at professional sports: Taxpayers %wise get hit for the cost of the stadiums, and the infrastructure and continual costs that support them. Then accounting for all the team owners - they walk away with billions & the same for the players. And what do the fans get: $100's per game cost & what about that 'super' food & beer the fans pay out all their body orifices for. AND do not forget about the ever increasing tax burden.

my eyes are open,
zz.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Good morning Mike,
On 23 August 2013 there was a post here about the Hyperloop:
"""LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk urged the public
Conspicuously absent was a commitment that Musk would sink substantial money into the project anytime soon — if ever.
One thing Musk was clear about: The public should participate in questioning, modifying and, ultimately, perfecting his proposal."""

I posted:
"Open you wallet wider
And the Taxpayer will be raked over the coals again.
- The Feds love to guarantee private loans with our tax dollars.
zz

And later I posted:
This is a science fiction version of a PALIMPSEST.
I love that line: "The public should participate"
MY translation: Elon Musk will just sponge off the taxpayers & walk away with another fortune. This new fortune will happen whether the project is a success or failure.
Take a look at professional sports: Taxpayers %wise get hit for the cost of the stadiums, and the infrastructure and continual costs that support them. Then accounting for all the team owners - they walk away with billions & the same for the players. And what do the fans get: $100's per game cost & what about that 'super' food & beer the fans pay out all their body orifices for. AND do not forget about the ever increasing tax burden.

my eyes are open,
zz.

I pay a much higher percentage of my taxes than Elon Musk, the owner of the local NFL team or anyone in their bracket with their tax, ahem, advantages. And I get nothing from any of this nonsesnse as I have no interest in a $70k car and wouldn't suffer a stadium and a football game if the tickets were $5. My eyes are open as well, and I only see one real solution; the complete removal of private money from public politics. Make anything more than lunch on the tab of anyone with use for political influence, for anyone from city council to the White House bribery and punishable as such. Enforce it. Make sure they do the perp walk on the evening news.

Then it will stop.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I pay a much higher percentage of my taxes than Elon Musk, the owner of the local NFL team or anyone in their bracket with their tax, ahem, advantages. And I get nothing from any of this nonsesnse as I have no interest in a $70k car and wouldn't suffer a stadium and a football game if the tickets were $5. My eyes are open as well, and I only see one real solution; the complete removal of private money from public politics. Make anything more than lunch on the tab of anyone with use for political influence, for anyone from city council to the White House bribery and punishable as such. Enforce it. Make sure they do the perp walk on the evening news.

Then it will stop.

Tim

Interesting how the same politicians enacted laws that precluded drug companies from giving doctors gifts, taking them for lunch or anything that would influence the doctor's prescribing habits

Docs always take it in the shorts Tim before those nasty lawmakers ever get theirs

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

Then it will stop.

Tim

100% 1000% Agree .

zz.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Interesting how the same politicians enacted laws that precluded drug companies from giving doctors gifts, taking them for lunch or anything that would influence the doctor's prescribing habits

Docs always take it in the shorts Tim before those nasty lawmakers ever get theirs

100% 1000% Agree .

zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing