Teac 3340S

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ok, so I've been looking at R2R's for the last 2 years and have come across a few, but they haven't excited me enough to make the jump. Since I don't know anything about R2R's I'm always hesitant as I don't want to end up with a unit that may require extensive refurbishing.

I was just told of a unit that has been refurbished by the seller and owner of an audio repair shop here in Toronto. He says the unit is in perfect working order and cosmetically in wonderful shape. I have not seen it yet, but I think I might like to know more. We didn't talk price or nitty-gritty about what was done to it. He wants $500.

I like the fact it has 7.5 and 15 ips speeds since I could then play some commercially available tapes (not at $300 a pop though...more like used).

Should I try to find out more? Or should I just forget about this?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-The Teac 33440s is a 4 track deck which was meant to be used to record 4 track music. This deck would be of little use to you and would provide no growth path to get to 2 track 15 ips tapes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-The Teac 33440s is a 4 track deck which was meant to be used to record 4 track music. This deck would be of little use to you and would provide no growth path to get to 2 track 15 ips tapes.

You mean I wouldn't be able to play back 2=track 15ips tapes?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not to my knowledge. I will let someone else chime in here that actually knows this deck. I believe the spacing for the 2 tracks on a regular 2 track tape are different than the spacing for a deck that is actually recording 4 tracks on the same side of the tape.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not to my knowledge. I will let someone else chime in here that actually knows this deck. I believe the spacing for the 2 tracks on a regular 2 track tape are different than the spacing for a deck that is actually recording 4 tracks on the same side of the tape.

If that's the case I wouldn't be interested, but yes....let's here from some of the guys about this. I want/need to learn more....and I'll ask Tony when I see him on Saturday.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I play piano, clarinet, flute and sax (alto/soprano)

I now see it. You could not play all the wind instruments simultaneously so you got rid of the 3340s ... ;)

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I'll counter. It's a very solid deck, but YES you can play 2 track tapes, you just need to use the correct channels on the deck to get left and right. The 1/2 track tape uses 1/2 the tape for each channel, whereas a 4 channel machine uses 1/4 of the tape per channel. Each head winding would therefore only 'read' 1/4 of the tape rather than 1/2 of the tape as a 2 track machine would.

The 3340 is a bulletproof machine, save for the belt that usually needs changing. It's an easy swap. Belts are on eBay. Is it a high end studio type machine like an Otari or Studer, or the other super high end decks here? No. Then again, a reasonable price for a working 3340 with decent heads would be $150-200, not $1500 to $5K.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'll counter. It's a very solid deck, but YES you can play 2 track tapes, you just need to use the correct channels on the deck to get left and right. The 1/2 track tape uses 1/2 the tape for each channel, whereas a 4 channel machine uses 1/4 of the tape per channel. Each head winding would therefore only 'read' 1/4 of the tape rather than 1/2 of the tape as a 2 track machine would.

The 3340 is a bulletproof machine, save for the belt that usually needs changing. It's an easy swap. Belts are on eBay. Is it a high end studio type machine like an Otari or Studer, or the other super high end decks here? No. Then again, a reasonable price for a working 3340 with decent heads would be $150-200, not $1500 to $5K.

How do you know the track spacing on the 4 track head is correct for 2 track tapes and it will play back tapes correctly that were made for 2 track machines vice 4 track machines? I would think the 2 tracks on a 2 track head would be much wider than 2 of the 4 tracks on a 4 track head.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
They are indeed, but you're simply splitting the two halves of the 1/2 track into two again, thereby getting 4 tracks total. So each channel of a 4 channel head is 'reading' 1/4 of the tape width total. It would bve an issue if you had say a 3 or 5 track deck, but those don't exist so playing a 2 track tape with a 4 channel machine isn't an issue.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
They are indeed, but you're simply splitting the two halves of the 1/2 track into two again, thereby getting 4 tracks total. So each channel of a 4 channel head is 'reading' 1/4 of the tape width total. It would bve an issue if you had say a 3 or 5 track deck, but those don't exist so playing a 2 track tape with a 4 channel machine isn't an issue.

I agree with Curt on this BUT would argue that from a "purist" perspective, you're not "catching all the flux" recorded on each (2 track) channel. Should you do go through with this, make sure the two 1/4 track groups for each 2 track channel are wired in "additive" polarity. With proper switching, you could also bring out "tracks 1 and 3" to also get a nice 1/4 track playback machine.

Charles

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Curt on this BUT would argue that from a "purist" perspective, you're not "catching all the flux" recorded on each (2 track) channel. Should you do go through with this, make sure the two 1/4 track groups for each 2 track channel are wired in "additive" polarity. With proper switching, you could also bring out "tracks 1 and 3" to also get a nice 1/4 track playback machine.

Charles

How could you be? 1/4" tape head with two tracks is going to have a larger surface area for each track than the same 1/4" tape head that is now divided into four tracks.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Charles, you're bang on. I was going to add summing of two of the four track pairs to get the full track width when playing 2 track tapes on a 4 track deck, but was typing while on the road on a laptop with a terrible keyboard, plus, I was lazy. :)

MEP, it's not an ideal solution, all I was doing was countering those above that said a 4 track machine could not play a 2 track tape.

A 3340 is hardly called an 'audiophile' deck 'round these parts compared to what a lot of members here have, but it is a solid deck, and a good cheap way to get into RTR...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Charles, you're bang on. I was going to add summing of two of the four track pairs to get the full track width when playing 2 track tapes on a 4 track deck, but was typing while on the road on a laptop with a terrible keyboard, plus, I was lazy. :)

MEP, it's not an ideal solution, all I was doing was countering those above that said a 4 track machine could not play a 2 track tape.

A 3340 is hardly called an 'audiophile' deck 'round these parts compared to what a lot of members here have, but it is a solid deck, and a good cheap way to get into RTR...

Why not buy a high-speed 2 track Ampex ATR-700 which is a pro deck and is available for around $200?

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Sure, that works too. It all depends what he finds available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing