Super expensive food

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Sam,

We've got a good 6 or 7 months to firm things up. I'll drop off the Phyto-Squalene later. Remember just two or 3 drops goes a long way. Leaves no residue either :)

Jack

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi amirm,

I speculate you stayed in a ryokan. I had a couple of ryokan experiences in Hakodate and Noboribetsu. The food was not only great tasting, the number of dishes was too much and the portions were not small at all. I felt extremely stuffed though I only ate less than half of what was served.

If I may ask, have you been to Hoshinoya Kyoto?

Sam

I have not. I had heard great stories of superb ryokans in Kyoto but sadly never got a chance to experience them. I have been to Kyoto maybe 20 times but most times it was part business, part pleasure so I had to stay in corporate hotels. They are of course superb but not personal like a traditional Japanese hotels can be.

The Ryokan in Hokkaido was "interesting" as they do not speak any Japanese. If you don't know at least a few words and customs (especially the marking on which Onsen (hot spring) is for women or me :D), it can be tough.

This reminds of how friendly the people in Hokkaido are. While all Japanese are polite, Hokkaido people are warm and friendly on top of that. Here is an example. I had my first trip there organized by Microsoft Office in Japan.

When I landed at the airport, they had a taxi take me to the local hotel and the next morning to the remote area the above hotel was located. They had asked a "translator" to also come. I get there, and the translator is an older gentleman that spoke broken but workable English. They take me to my hotel. I ask them for recommendation on a place to eat dinner and ask them if they like to go with me. They do and we go and have some nice sushi (including my first time whale sushi!). We talk and the translator says he works for the taxi company. Later that night, they take me to their taxi office and a bunch of people greet me with open arms, explaining what I was about to see.

Next morning, they meet me in the early morning (best photography is before sunrise and we had 1 to 2 hours of driving to get there). They ask me if I had any breakfast. I said not. He reaches into a bag and he has breakfast and warm drink for me! They take me to the hotel and then volunteer to carry all of my heavy lenses and photography equipment. Now, it is about -20 to -30 degree F. It is so cold the LCD on my camera had built up quarter inch of ice from my breath! And these too poor guys were just standing there holding my stuff. Talk about going beyond call of duty.

The morning shoot finishes and they take me to the hotel. When we get there, the translator helps me get checked in and then the owner of the hotel comes to greet me. He was also supposed to be my photo guide for the next couple of days but as soon as he arrives, he says he doesn't speak any English. While I thought I could still manage, to my shock and surprise, the translator asks for a room and says he is going to stay there to translate for me! No matter how much I insisted he doesn't have to do that, he was determined to stay and help me.

I am feeling really bad. The guy dressed very modestly and I kept thinking how could afford to go without pay for the next two days and pay for the hotel room to boot.

Anyway, he stayed and I had a wonderful time shooting Hokkaido's native and endangered Tancho (cranes). He was a funny guy and we had a blast.

On the last day, I am saying goodbye to him and thanking him profusely. He pulls me aside and quietly says: "I don't just work for the Taxi company. I am the General Manager and part owner of it!"

So there I was. I had an owner of the largest Taxi company taking me around for free and acting as my translator for two days. Not only did I come back with some nice pictures, I also came back with appreciation of people living in that remote area of Japan and for that matter, the world. Speaking of pictures, here are a few:

And this is some of the natural beauty:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmm the man can shoot as well as he eats!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What does it taste like Flez? If I can eat fish eggs, I think I can easily try ant eggs.

Our most expensive delicacy is bird's nest. It's the nest of a certain variety of swift that's put into soup. I'm not sure how much it goes for now but the saying is that it's worth it's weight in gold. I'm not too keen on it because, well, it doesn't really taste like anything.

Well, it is not strong flavoured, not spicey, almost mild in flavour... Actually the cook needs to preapare this dish with some additional condiments and of course have this in a soft tortilla and eat it as a regular "taco" as you might guessed :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jack,

Have you dropped the Phyto-Squalene at my place? I can also pick it up from your place to save you the bother.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi amirm,

Thank you for the response. May I ask what hotels you would recommend in the Kyoto area? I read that there is a river that passes through Kyoto and there are hidden gems of hotels built into the hill overlooking the river, some only reachable by boat. Have you seen or stayed in any of these?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Sam,

My driver is going to drop it off before he picks up some crabs on Wilson. Should be there by now :)

Flez,

That actually sounds very interesting! I'll be sure to look out for it when I go to Mexico. We're supposed to go to Guadalupe some time next year. :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Sam,

My driver is going to drop it off before he picks up some crabs on Wilson. Should be there by now :)

Flez,

That actually sounds very interesting! I'll be sure to look out for it when I go to Mexico. We're supposed to go to Guadalupe some time next year. :)

Jack - If you are referring to Guadalupe bay for whale-watch (by the way a nice place in Baja California) - you might be too far away from where escamoles are produced. Guadalupe is famous for Lobster and beans tacos, as well as a large variety of sea food.

Enjoy!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Sam,

Anytime buddy! :)

Hi Flez,

My wife wants to make a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Guadalupe. Is it the same Guadalupe as Guadalupe Bay? I'm not in on the planning. I'm definitely IN for lobster tacos!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi amirm,

Thank you for the response. May I ask what hotels you would recommend in the Kyoto area?
I have stayed at three hotels:

1. Brighton Hotel. This is located in a non-descript residential area but very close to everything. Inside, the hotel is supposed to be British in style (Brighton is a beach town in UK), but it is nothing like that! It is a luxury Japanese hotel with western rooms. Service is impeccable. The food is also great but very expensive. The Japanese chef there battled Iron Chef and won!

2. Westin Miyako. This is grand Japanese hotel in a much more scenic location with gardens out back. For some reason, I didn't like the restaurants as well as Brighton but it was a close second.

3. I forget the name of this one but there is a luxury hotel right at the Kyoto Train station. Needless to say, it is very convenient location and you can walk to shops and all. I found this an older hotel and restaurants not nearly as nice as the above two. For a base camp though, it might work better than others although Brighton is also nice since it is more centrally located (train station is pretty far south of town).

I also stayed at a business hotel way north of the city. It was the season for fall leaves so every hotel was booked but that one. Once I got there, I realized why. It was a super old western style hotel with horrible decor, terrible food, etc. Had a nice lake out back but that was it. Will never go back to this one.

As I noted, you need to book well in advance if you are going during Sakura (Cherry blossom festival in spring) and fall. A million Japanese show up then although not a problem for me since I was always jetlagged so would get up early before all of them and go take pictures :).

I read that there is a river that passes through Kyoto and there are hidden gems of hotels built into the hill overlooking the river, some only reachable by boat. Have you seen or stayed in any of these?
Kamo-gawa is the major river that runs through Kyoto. It is much less scenic than it sounds. It is more like a wide channel. It does have a lot of restaurants overlooking it and I have eaten there. I have not heard of a good luxury or western style hotel on it inside town. Perhaps there are some nice ones outside.

I have been to places north of the city where there is a much smaller picturesque river where they have these seating areas placed right on top of this river where you sit and eat lunch. The place is called Kibune and over river dining is called "Kawadoko." I don't have my pictures of it uploaded but here is one from the web:

Search for Kibune Kawadoko and you learn more (here is an example: http://www.kyoto-okoshiyasu.com/en/see/kawadoko/kibune.html). We were there during hot summer (a time to avoid as it can be very humid) and I can't tell you how enjoyable it was to take your shoes off, put your feet in the cold rive and dine on local fresh water fish and wonderful Japanese food. The town itself is mountainous and makes for a good half day trip.

There is a much smaller river in Kyoto itself where a wonderful walkway by the name of "philosopher's path" parallels it. I have walked it many times but don't recall any major hotels there but I am sure there are a lot of traditional ones.

Hopefully this is useful :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just read the bit about boat. None of the rivers I mentioned fall in that category. It must be in a more remote area.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Flez,

My wife wants to make a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Guadalupe. Is it the same Guadalupe as Guadalupe Bay? I'm not in on the planning. I'm definitely IN for lobster tacos!

I see Jack.. That is here in Mexico City, and yes... You can get those in town almost all year long. Let me know once your trip is confirmed and I will gladly recommend to you some nice places to visit nearby.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Excellent! Thanks Flez :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi amirm,

Thank you for the very detailed reply. It is very much appreciated.

Sam

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have only been to Japan once and fortunately it was as the guest of NEC, so I was treated to an assortment of great foods, but cannot remember a single name of the restaurants I was taken to because they were off the beaten paths. What I do remember is that high quality tofu was unlike anything I have ever tasted before and was devinely custard-like. What greatly impressed the senior manager who was my host was that as an American I ate the tofu with chopsticks.

I would like to offer a more accessible source of incredible food that resides in NYC, Philadelphia and Atlantic City--Buddakan. I just ate at the NYC branch again last Saturday and was completely reimpressed as if it was my first rather than my 10th time. Their black cod in meso is to die for and a whole step above what Nobu has to offer. Their fillet of beef with artichoke butter and asian mustard makes your eyes close, but their edamame ravioli with truffle sauce is the queen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing